Windows 7 BSOD BBCode 1a RRS feed

• Question

• Well, recently, last night I had just received a blue screen error. The error code was BBCode 1a and I have had other blue screens before. When I got my new hardware for Christmas, I have had no blue screen errors for over maybe 2 weeks or so. It started blue screening a lot and I had to re-do windows. So when I redid it, it survived a while again and then got blue screen. So then I re-did it again and it has been getting quite annyoing and would like to learn a fix to this problem. You can check my skydrive by going to my profiles website, which is the skydrive website.

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:27 PM

Answers

• Bobcat

Several issues.  This BSOD (blue screen of death) and the DMP file (crash dump file) were related to memory mangement.  I would

1-Update asacpi.sys (yours is from 2005). Asacpi.sys is a known cause of BSOD

2- remove and replace Norton with MSE

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.

Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=p7p55d%20le&p=1&s=32&os=29&hashedid=e7zic83pvqsr80lm

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).
     Download and install it.
     Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (not before).

Symantec  is a frequent cause of BSOD's.  

I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:46 PM
  • Testing memory can reveal it is defective. Unfortunately it does not prove it is not defective. However, for all practical purposes it is best to look at other things to find the source of the problems.

Testing memory does not test for corruption of a pagefile or a hard drive. Please provide a copy of a chkdsk report on your C partition select Start, Run, type "cmd" without quotes in the box and press the ENTER key. Type chkdsk and press the ENTER key and a report, detailing amongst other things a summary of how the disk space is utilised, is provided. If you want a report on a partition or drive other than C you need to go to that partition. To access F, where F is the required partition you type F: and press the ENTER key.

Copying reports from a command prompt can be tricky. Right click and select Mark. This enables you to highlight selected text and click to copy. You then go to an open Word, Notepad or similar file, right click and paste. The selected text transfers from your clipboard to the open file. You can paste directly into a reply message to most forums.

In Windows 7 you may need to use an Elevated Command Prompt;
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:09 AM

All replies

• My system specs are:

ASUS Motherboard (DDR2)

GeForce GTX 660 Ti (2GB)

8 GB of Ballistix Ram (8GB Total) (DDR2)

AMD Athlon Quad Core Processor

Power Supply 700-Watt

Local C Drive 1 SSD Drive (111 GB Total)

Local D Drive 1 Normal Westerndigital Hardrive (My games are on this) (465 GB Total)

I couldn't put the link in the post because I did not verify my account which I really don't know how.

• Edited by bobcat4848 Monday, February 11, 2013 10:30 PM Edit
    Monday, February 11, 2013 10:29 PM
  • Bobcat

Several issues.  This BSOD (blue screen of death) and the DMP file (crash dump file) were related to memory mangement.  I would

1-Update asacpi.sys (yours is from 2005). Asacpi.sys is a known cause of BSOD

2- remove and replace Norton with MSE

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.

Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=p7p55d%20le&p=1&s=32&os=29&hashedid=e7zic83pvqsr80lm

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).
     Download and install it.
     Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (not before).

Symantec  is a frequent cause of BSOD's.  

I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:46 PM
  • would MalwareBytes work fine to? Or should I stick with MSE.

If i get MSE, does MSE stop files that have virsuses from being downloaded and such?

And is MSE really good against Virsus and malware and spyware?

Can it remove these easily without me having to do a ton of work for it?
    • Edited by bobcat4848 Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:51 AM Edit
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

To check this issue, please locate the dump file in the \Windows\Minidump folder and upload it according to the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65/

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:39 AM
  • Bob

Mse (free) and Malwarebytes (also free) can be used together.  Only one should be used "live".  MSE is easy to use.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:00 PM
  • My computer had just froze and I had to turn it off. What could this possiably be?
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:52 AM
  • There are many reasons for freezes.

Freezes mainly occur because the task or tasks being undertaken require more memory or CPU capacity than is immediately available. The solution is to increase what is available or to reduce demand. You can do both. How you do this is much more complicated. It depends on which item of hardware is causing the bottleneck. If memory is limited it can be simply remedied by adding RAM. If the problem is CPU capacity you will find that increasing capacity is often not practical as to replace the CPU processor often means replacing the motherboard, operating system and other hardware making the exercise expensive.. Changing the hard drive could help but switching to a solid state drive is also expensive. If the CPU is the problem then reducing demand is often the way to go.

If you are intent on reducing demand it can dramatically improve performance if you remove browser add ons like toolbars and search engines which are not needed. Most times when you  install new software you will find recommended add ons. You need to learn to say no when they duplicate what you already have. Adds on can conceal malware, notably spyware reporting how you are using your computer. Do not believe bland statements like "quietly runs in the background". It's spin in more ways than one. Multi-tasking can be fine but it can bring performance problems. It translates into an excess of supply over demand!

Another cause of freezes can be failing hardware, most commonly the hard drive, related cabling or defective RAM. These defects are often easy to detect but not always so. You should also ensure that you have the latest BIOS and motherboard drivers. They can be out of date on a brand new computer if the person selling you the computer has not updated immediately before handing you the computer.

If the freeze always involves the same programme then you should uninstall and reinstall the programme and check that you have the latest updates. You can also use Google to find out whether others have or have had the same problem. Focus your searches using key words, extracts from Event Viewer descriptions perhaps, and limit results to those within 12 months.  Many programmes have dedicated forums where other users may be able to help.

A freeze is often be the result of a malware infestation. In this situation you should not rely on your existing installed software. You need to carry out scans with software like Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Perversely freezes can be caused by security software. Norton and McAfee have a reputation for being implicated, especially where the computer has limited RAM and CPU capacity.

Poor or no maintenance will result in poor system performance. You need to have a maintenance routine. This may include compacting ( some mail programmes ), and should include cleaning with Disk CleanUp or cCleaner and defragmenting. You should ensure that partitions have at least 20% free disk space. You do not defragment solid state drives.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:12 AM
  • My computer has been causing me problems after a week or two after I got all this new hardware for christmas and it wont stop. Its getting me really annoyed now.

I just want this all to end so I can record or play without having to know I am going to freeze or something

Could this problem be from overheating?
    • Edited by bobcat4848 Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:00 AM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Just received another blue screen, check my dump file please zig zag, I also did everything you told me I have MSE and removed norton and updated the drive and checked, check the new file at my skydrive

Check my website url in my profile to see my skydrive.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Bob where is the link to the new DMPS?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:34 AM
  • The file is labeled "Another Bluescreen"

the link is in my profiles website thing because I cant put links in replies or posts.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 4:40 AM
  • What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Please download and run Driver View and upload a copy of the report it produces to your Sky Drive.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here.

Run the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic Tool
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:09 AM
  • My motherboard is ASUS which is all I know but the rest is in my skydrive

The two folder names are Driver Info and System Info.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=377763C16A1C9521&id=377763C16A1C9521%21106

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:49 PM
  • To check the BIOS and available driver updates you need to get the detail as it appears on your motherboard.

Were you provided with a motherboard manual and /or motherboard driver CD/ DVD when you purchased the computer? Have you checked there for the model details?

This is what a Model P8Z77V_DELUXE motherboard looks like:
    http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_DELUXE/

You can see where the model number is located towards the top left of the picture. In this situation another way to determine the model is to disconnect the power cable and, looking at the computer from the front, remove the left side panel. The panel is normally secured to the back of the case by three screws. When these screws are removed the panel will slide from front to back and lift clear of the casing. Take care not to touch the face of the motherboard as a static electricity discharge can damage the motherboard.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:21 PM
  • Looking at the System Information file it is apparent that Symantec was causing many errors and that removal has dramatically reduced the number of errors. However, you are still seeing BSOD errors, albeit far less often.

Please run the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic Tool
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

Hope this helps, Gerry

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:45 PM
  • I have ran the memory test once before I redid windows and the memory is good.
    Or at least I have tested the ram

does this test the hard drives?

• Edited by bobcat4848 Monday, February 18, 2013 4:08 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Testing memory can reveal it is defective. Unfortunately it does not prove it is not defective. However, for all practical purposes it is best to look at other things to find the source of the problems.

Testing memory does not test for corruption of a pagefile or a hard drive. Please provide a copy of a chkdsk report on your C partition select Start, Run, type "cmd" without quotes in the box and press the ENTER key. Type chkdsk and press the ENTER key and a report, detailing amongst other things a summary of how the disk space is utilised, is provided. If you want a report on a partition or drive other than C you need to go to that partition. To access F, where F is the required partition you type F: and press the ENTER key.

Copying reports from a command prompt can be tricky. Right click and select Mark. This enables you to highlight selected text and click to copy. You then go to an open Word, Notepad or similar file, right click and paste. The selected text transfers from your clipboard to the open file. You can paste directly into a reply message to most forums.

In Windows 7 you may need to use an Elevated Command Prompt;
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:09 AM