SCCM Server doesn't deploy the latest client version after upgrade to CU3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently updated a SCCM 2012 Sp1 site to CU3, and I have the automatic client upgrade feature enabled but the client's aren't being upraded.

Also, new client's get the .1000 version of the client.

Most of them have upgraded their EP client, but none the SCCM client. Also, the site still reports the latest version to be 5.00.7804.1000. Other sites I've upgraded also report this to be the latest version but there I used the client upgrade programs so I didn't notice this.

Shouldn't the site report the latest client version to be 5.00.7804.1400 after the CU3 update has been finished?

And shouldn't new client's get the updated version, and shouldn't automatic client upgrade update the older client's to .1400?

Regards,
    Freyr

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:13 AM

Answers

• Automatic client upgrade is only for major client versions like service packs. For cumulative updates you need to use the client update packages that are created during the upgrade process. This is the same situation for new clients.

Launch the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Console, and verify the build number of the console. If the upgrade was successful, the build number should be 5.00.7804.1400.

If you select properties of the Site Server to check the version number, you will notice that the build number is still 5.00.7804.1000 (SP1 RTM). This is expected; CUs do not update the site server version.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:21 AM

All replies

• Automatic client upgrade is only for major client versions like service packs. For cumulative updates you need to use the client update packages that are created during the upgrade process. This is the same situation for new clients.

Launch the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Console, and verify the build number of the console. If the upgrade was successful, the build number should be 5.00.7804.1400.

If you select properties of the Site Server to check the version number, you will notice that the build number is still 5.00.7804.1000 (SP1 RTM). This is expected; CUs do not update the site server version.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Ok, thanks for the info.

Still find it a bit silly though that the client install package on the server doesn't get upgraded so that new client's get the .1400 version.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi Gerry,

Thanks for this, wondering whether you've encountered clients that have been updated but the client version in the console is older than the client installed?

I have one server encountering this problem and 2 client that will not update.

On 2 clients looking at the logs, I see a message "no upgrade package found" After deploying the update packages, although reported as successfully the client is still on version .1000. 

The server client is updated to .1400 however the database (console) shows client version as .1000.  Any ideas?

Cheets

Jeff 

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:22 AM
  • We are having similar issues to these.

What I'd like, is to have confirmation of expected behavior. 

Is it expected that until a Major version release, that the right-click 'install client' function, will not install the new (1400) client?

Is it expected that until a Major version release, the 'Upgrade clients automatically' function, will not upgrade clients to the 1400 level?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:32 PM
  • This is already an old thread but for anyone still searching for an answer to this; the possibility to automatically upgrade the minor versions was introduced in SCCM 2012 SP2 CU1 and SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1

Reference Automatically updating the Configuration Manager client.

For those who have already updated SP2 CU1 or R2 SP1 CU1 or later, you can re-run the update installer afterwards as explained in the blog.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:51 AM