Dreamscene RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a dreamscene in Windows 7? If so, where is it at?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:00 AM

Answers

• No but you can use VLC player for that functionality.
    • Proposed as answer by veef Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 8:38 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:01 AM

All replies

• No but you can use VLC player for that functionality.
    • Proposed as answer by veef Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 8:38 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Okay. Thanks. :) 
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Bring back dreamscenes !!!!!! Static ptictures are 1993-2007. This is 2009 !!!! Keep It in Windows & !!!!!
    Friday, January 16, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Although they don't play, the background image control panel page lets you browse and select videos.  They should disable non image file types from being selected if they aren't going to support playing them.

I thought DreamScene was a nifty trick, but I didn't use it after the first few days.  Although I wish there were more powertoys or just something to justify the ulimate editions other than bitlocker that I'll never use.

By the way, upgrading from Vista destroyed my Ultimate sound packs.

Friday, January 16, 2009 8:19 AM
  • d503308 said:

Bring back dreamscenes !!!!!! Static ptictures are 1993-2007. This is 2009 !!!! Keep It in Windows & !!!!!

Here, here.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:10 PM
  • d503308 said:

Bring back dreamscenes !!!!!! Static ptictures are 1993-2007. This is 2009 !!!! Keep It in Windows & !!!!!

Hello.
    I from Russia. I use the automatic translator. I ask to concern with understanding discrepancies of transfer.

I use Windows 7, DreamScene in it works. In system it is put in pawn, but for the unknown reasons is blocked.
    There is a utility for разблокирования DreamScene. It is established in a current of 2 seconds. The size of a file

14Mb. I can send it to you and all interested persons by e-mail. Send the letter on mine e-mail: s_olya77@mail.ru
    In the answer I will send the letter with the file enclosed in it and the instruction.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:36 PM
  • What Olga777 is talking about is applying a hacked version from vista, which would be against the EULA and does not provide the exact same functionality as in vista. I repeat Windows 7 does not come with dreamscene.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:35 AM
  • veef said:

What Olga777 is talking about is applying a hacked version from vista, which would be against the EULA and does not provide the exact same functionality as in vista. I repeat Windows 7 does not come with dreamscene.

Hello.

I agree with you, that at present Windows 7 Beta does not provide use Dreamscene. But in system this function is put in pawn. It is confirmed by presence of not activated command "Pause DreamScene" in the contextual menu of a desktop. This command it is possible to see right after installations of operational system. It was the purpose to make this function accessible. To your data, at installation Windows Vista this function also was неактивирована. Possibility of its use has been given only by means of updatings from Microsoft. The utility offered by me for Windows 7 does not break work of operational system. It helps to start to use that already is in operational system.

Example is function "windows switching" which was on Taskbar in Windows Vista and in Windows 7/Build 6801. In Windows 7 Beta/7000 it is not present on Taskbar, but it does not mean, that it completely is absent. It is also it it is possible to use. Way C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

You have written, that by means of this utility all functions DreamScene are accessible not. Animation and a sound work. What else there should be functions???

It yet all latent possibilities of system which have been found out.

How it is possible to test system not using all its possibilities?

The given comment does not mention commercial interest of company Microsoft. It is intended for system beta testers.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:49 AM
  • As a tech myself, I did enjoy the comforting scenes of Dream scenes on my desktop. I like to do things legit and ask Microsoft Windows 7 Beta staff to please allow an option or an add-on to download to reactive Dream scenes. If you guys need to (and I can not believe I am asking this) think about selling it like you did PLUS! for XP with dozens and dozens of background WMV or MPG files. That way those who do not buy the Ultimate package can enjoy the same scenes. I know you removed it because in some pc's (and I have repaired many) it can use up lots of resource and memory on systems 1 GB or less. That is why I think it should be set as "an optional" item that can be activated or deactivated at will. I think it would be so cool to have a dream scene incorporated as a theme. REALLY GUYS....do you want Stardock (wonderful company by the way) to take all the credit of making Windows 7 more pleasurable to the eyes?? I am willing to pay them to get scenes or Dreams working again!  I know this is a BETA but when you do release the Full version, please do not disappoint us!!  I am ready for any good surprises you may have.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:49 PM
  • My only critical observation with Dreamscenes is that it killed one out of 3 video cards in my shop...  Using software based fan controller, SpeedFan, I could hear the video card ramp up when the Dreamscene was used.  It would not subside, and eventually a video card *popped*...  That is when I began to pay attention to the video card temps during Dreamscene and Screen saver use.

Some of the really *cool* screen savers have the same affect on the video cards... heat em up baby!!!

I am not complaining so much as making an observation...

HTH

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Pierre50 said:

My only critical observation with Dreamscenes is that it killed one out of 3 video cards in my shop...

I also wondered if Dreamscene is purposefully left out of Win7 for stability reasons.

I could not find any technical explanation for why it would not work with my hardware in Vista other than nvidia writes in the driver release notes each month "This is an issue with the OS [295017]".

If Dreamscene is returned to Win7 I hope that whatever the problem was it will be fixed :)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for the info veef!

So, once again Microsoft has created an OS that removes a function that many users really like!

Does MS actually pay someone to come up with dumb ideas like this?

Anyone who is not running with at least 2 GB of RAM is cheating themselves out of a lot good performance extras anyway. But when you're running between 4 GB and 8 GB performance is not usually an issue.

As for blowing out a video card, I haven't seen that on any computer that runs Dreamscene and, certainly none of mine. If I really wanted to involve myself with VLC player, I could have kept XP to the end of it's life.

I do hope MS corrects this.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:41 PM
  • VLC seems to not work with me.... the DirectX wallpaer option is grayed out....
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Same here.

Novel solution: add the feature to wmplayer, include a couple extra controls that were missing from the original (volume, seek, playlists)

This goes further to integrating ambiance into the desktop experience. if you're just playing music through your desktop, you still need basic controls, like volume and seek and playlists. If you're playing pictures to musical accompaniment it would be nice to have dual playlists (music and pictures) running at the same time. If you're running video as your desktop, you need to control the volume level (taken care of by the mixer), playlists and seek. 

Otherwise can't the rich media player (preview pane) be repurposed for previewing such content as the desktop background?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:48 AM
  • OK, I tried the registry hack and yay dreamscene works. I noticed the messy text for desktop icons. After playing with the visual effects settings under system performances options, everything looks great. The CPU performance hit though is phenominal. Might have to invest in i7 or a quad core AMD to have enough idle cycles for the luxury of Dreamscene. I'm hoping it will officially be brought back, and unpause itself (fading windows out to show a screensaver, after the machine is left to idle for a while). Speaking of which, having Peek automatically come on after an idle period would be a good passive security measure.
    • Proposed as answer by Kosseguy Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:54 PM
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:11 AM
  • If you want Dreamscenes, go to Stardock.com and get Deskscapes.  It is Dreamscenes PLUS, and there are A LOT of user created Dreams Available.
    • Proposed as answer by Kosseguy Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:55 PM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Actually Microsoft turned Dreamscene off, and you can still turn the function on.

All you have to do is search "Windows 7"""Dreamscene" on the internet, and you will find the solution others offered!

Saturday, October 9, 2010 12:29 PM