none
Leveling With "Load Summary Resource Assignments" is not considering allocations in unopened files?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I open a project in MSP2010 with the option "Load Summary Resource Assignments" checked, I see that the assigned work from other (unopened) projects is taken in account! (via resource usage, via resource graph, ...). OK till here.

1. when I level the opened project (containing overallocations), nothing happens!? The overallocations remain unsolved..
    2. When I open one of the other projects from the server (with assignments resulting in the overallocation) and level the first one again, the leveling is done as it should in the first one! (I have "frozen" the tasks for leveling in the second project by setting their priority to 1000)

The behaviour of point 1 is not OK I think. MSP should level all open projects (so only one in case 1), taking in account all the assigned work from the projects on the server because "Load Summary Resource Assignments" checked. Since those unopened projects cannot be changed by the leveling proces, the open file should get leveled... IT IS NOT THE CASE ?!

Am I missing something?

Regards
    Wim

PS:

1. I don't think the leveling options are important because leveling works once the second file is opened.
    2. Same reflection for the "can Level" field on resource level: leveling works once the second file is opened.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 9:14 PM

Answers

• You must open the other projects if you want allocation between other projects.  Overallocation, is only performed on the open projects, because the open project is the one that can make changes.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Michael,

As I mention in the initial post, the open file is NOT affected by the allocations in the un-opened files on the server. Since MSP was started with the "Load Summary Resource Assignments"  checked, this should be the case.

Due to time pressure I copied the tasks in the suspicious file to a new file and the problem was solved.

Proble Solved, but the case is lost...

My conclusion is file corruption!

Regards
    Wim

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Wim,

it should level also when the other projects are closed. Did you have the other project on priority 1000 also when it was closed?

Regards
    Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Hi Christoph,

Meanwhile, I checked this scenario on different versions and it works fine and is described.

The only explanation must be that I have a problem with file corruption. 
    First test scenario: I will recreate the files tomorrow from scratch an check if the problem is still there. 
    Second test: I will delete the existing situation step by step and check if I can isolate the perpetrator ...

Regards
    Wim

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:18 PM
  • You must open the other projects if you want allocation between other projects.  Overallocation, is only performed on the open projects, because the open project is the one that can make changes.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Michael,

As I mention in the initial post, the open file is NOT affected by the allocations in the un-opened files on the server. Since MSP was started with the "Load Summary Resource Assignments"  checked, this should be the case.

Due to time pressure I copied the tasks in the suspicious file to a new file and the problem was solved.

Proble Solved, but the case is lost...

My conclusion is file corruption!

Regards
    Wim

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:36 PM