Where is the image? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2007 installation with 2 WFEs.

There is a particular page which is supposed to display an image but occasionally shows the missing image icon instead - this is what I am trying to fix.

The url for the image is "_layouts/images/map.gif" which I thought would map to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\images\map.gif" except that the image is not there. On either of the web front ends.

Where could it be coming from?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi David.O,

According to your description, my understand is that the image is missing for some reasons. You could not get the map.gif from “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\images\map.gif”.

You are right, the image “_layouts/images/map.gif” is mapped to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\images\map.gif”. In case you are unable to get it, it may be deleted incorrectly or it is not deployed to the folder directly. To fix it, please copy the image map.gif to the folder manually. For troubleshooting purpose, you can rename a GIF image into map.gif, and then copy it the images folder. After that, check if the image is shown well.

Thanks,

Jack

• Marked as answer by David Orme Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:00 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi David.O,

According to your description, my understand is that the image is missing for some reasons. You could not get the map.gif from “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\images\map.gif”.

You are right, the image “_layouts/images/map.gif” is mapped to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\template\images\map.gif”. In case you are unable to get it, it may be deleted incorrectly or it is not deployed to the folder directly. To fix it, please copy the image map.gif to the folder manually. For troubleshooting purpose, you can rename a GIF image into map.gif, and then copy it the images folder. After that, check if the image is shown well.

Thanks,

Jack

• Marked as answer by David Orme Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:00 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:43 AM
  • I couldn't find the images in the correct path so I visited the page, copied the images off the page, and put them into the images folder. This has fixed the problem.

What did you mean by "not deployed to the folder directly"? I know that most pages are fetched from the database. Are some images also fetched from the database rather than the file system?

I recently rebuilt SharePoint and migrated the content database. Occasionally I find things like this. Is it possible that the images were in my browser cache? The first time I hit a page the images were there but refreshing the page caused them to vanish.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:00 PM