none
Server 2016 Event ID 20291 DHCP-Server DHCP Failover reject reason outdated binding information RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeing this event quite often in the eventlog.  My Googlefu only can find this particular EID related to Server 2012 and a hotfix so pretty sure that doesn't apply to me.  Any ideas?

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server" Guid="{6D64F02C-A125-4DAC-9A01-F0555B41CA84}" /> 
      <EventID>20291</EventID> 
      <Version>0</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>122</Task> 
      <Opcode>111</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-16T09:00:06.677347400Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>94339</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="4136" ThreadID="7424" /> 
      <Channel>DhcpAdminEvents</Channel> 
      <Computer>DC1server.local</Computer> 
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-20" /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="TransactionId">9661</Data> 
      <Data Name="IPAddress">1774758080</Data> 
      <Data Name="BndStatus">Outdated binding information</Data> 
      <Data Name="PartnerServer">DC1server2</Data> 
      <Data Name="RelationName">DC1server1.local-DC1server2</Data> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

The following situation may occur the Event 20291.

• You have two DHCP servers that are running Windows Server 2012 R2.
    • You configure the servers as a failover cluster.
    • You set up multiple DHCP scopes and multiple IP networks.
    • You put a client computer on one of the IP networks and confirm that it receives an IP address from one of the scopes.
    • You move the client computer to a different IP network.

More information about this event 20291, please refer to the following link,

Event ID 20291 is logged in the System log when a client computer is moved to a different IP network

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2955135/event-id-20291-is-logged-in-the-system-log-when-a-client-computer-is-m

Furthermore, have you patched the hotfix KB2919393 which applied to windows server 2012? Please try to patch this KB to see if it could be of help.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2014/02/24/dhcp-failover-fixes-in-kb-2919393-for-windows-server-2012-and-kb-2919355-for-windows-server-2012-r2/

In addition, here is a similar thread as below, it may be helpful.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/48199860-1aa0-404b-9930-7a8fed2ea207/2012-r2-dhcp-load-balancing?forum=winserveripamdhcpdns

From RFC Docs: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-12#page-59, we observed that DHCP failover reject reason outdated binding information.

“To "reject" a BNDUPD means to respond to the BNDUPD with a BNDACK with a reject-reason option included.”…….(1,2,3): If rejecting, use reject reason 15: "Outdated binding information".

So, we can try the following steps to see if it works.

1.Please check the failover state in the scope properties, make sure they are working.

2.The DHCP failover need a Time Synchronization between servers, you could check the time on the 2 server.

3.In addition, you could try to delete a  scope on one server, then replicate failover scope, are they  worked appropriately or not.

4.It may be caused by migration, try to build a new scope, and configure the failover, are  they  worked  appropriately or not.

Hope above information can help you. I look forward hearing your good news. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was the issue resolved?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 18, 2018 12:54 PM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Michael

Monday, May 21, 2018 2:27 PM
  • Sorry so long between responses been crazy around here.

We are running 2016 Datacenter virtualized.

The failover scope does not have multiple IP networks or multiple scopes.

The computer hasn't moved.

The failover relationship is active and the time between the two servers is synced.

However, this may have cleared up on it's own I haven't seen another error in the event log since I posted this message.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:47 PM