none
Cant add vSwitch on Windows 2019

Question

• Hey all,

I've been trying to enable Switch Embedded Teaming on Windows 2019 [Version 10.0.17763.107] using the below command:

New-VMSwitch -Name SETSwitch -NetAdapterName "em1","em2","em3","em4" -EnableEmbeddedTeaming $true -AllowManagementOS $true

The command executes successfully and creates the virtual switch but breaks the NICs.  In device manager they are shown with an exclamation mark and under details show the below error:

"The device cannot start. (Code 19) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful."

I have tried updating the NIC firmware and upgrade/downgrade of driver with no luck.  

I have also tried the exact same process on Windows 2016 on the same hardware and it works perfectly.

The hardware is a Lenovo SR650 and NIC is Intel X722 1GbE.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:56 AM

Answers

• EDIT:  I have found the below steps do not work with the drivers included with Windows Server 2019 (v1.8.103.2) but if I update the drivers from Device Manager and let it download from MS, the driver is updated to version 1.8.109.0.  Then the steps below work.

I've just managed to get past this issue by doing the following:

1. Remove Hyper-V role
    2. Open elevated command prompt and run: netcfg -d    (make sure you have console access as this will kill all network connections)
    3. Reboot
    4. Add Hyper-V role
    5. Create your vSwitch.

In the past I was running netcfg -d without removing Hyper-V first, this doesn't seem to work.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:17 AM

All replies

• It turns out that the issue is not limited to SET.

Trying to add a basic Virtual Switch bound to the X722 also fails.  When binding to other adapters in the system it is successful.

Friday, November 16, 2018 12:22 AM
  •   I would suspect it is a problem with the device driver for the X722. I think that I have seen a post about that device before, but I can't find it.

Bill

Friday, November 16, 2018 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Now, other adapters can bind to the new create VSwitch, they are multiple physical NIC cards on your host?  

Internal or Private VSwitch can get enabled SET?

Meanwhile, here's an article discussed deploying switch embedded teaming on Hyper-V using Powershell, it may be helpful.

https://charbelnemnom.com/2015/12/deploying-switch-embedded-teaming-set-on-hyper-v-using-powershell-dsc-powershell-dsc-hyperv/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, November 18, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Yes, there are multiple NICs in the system.  One 10Gb Converged Network Adaptor and one 4 port Intel X722 1GbE adaptor.

I can create a vSwitch bound to the 10GbE adaptor but not the 1GbE adaptors.

Internal and private work as they are not bound to an adaptor.

I'm quite familiar with the PowerShell commands, this appears to be a driver issue, considering this driver came with Windows I would have assime it would have been tested.

So no, issue is not resolved unfortunately.

Sunday, November 18, 2018 10:54 PM
  • Hi,

If we're in a testing environment, please try the following thread that seems a similar situation like yours. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f7e4af56-900e-4879-ab34-9d50f4e345a9/cant-create-any-virtual-switch-in-hyperv-failed-while-creating-virtual-ethernet-switch-0x800401f3?forum=win10itprovirt

Please note if the server in a production, please full backup the OS in case of unexpected disaster.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, November 19, 2018 10:30 AM
  • Hello,

I have already tried this with no luck unfortunately.

I know Intel have submitted a driver (v23.5) to MS for approval, hopefully this fixes the issue. I'm confident it's a driver issue as the problem occurs on a clean install of windows with the only change being Hyper-V role added.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Yes, if any update, I'll post here as soon as possible. If you also have any update or concern, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Michael 

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:03 AM
  • check intel drivers Release 23.4 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:08 AM
  • I am currently running v23.4 with exactly the same issue.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 1:03 AM
  • EDIT:  I have found the below steps do not work with the drivers included with Windows Server 2019 (v1.8.103.2) but if I update the drivers from Device Manager and let it download from MS, the driver is updated to version 1.8.109.0.  Then the steps below work.

I've just managed to get past this issue by doing the following:

1. Remove Hyper-V role
    2. Open elevated command prompt and run: netcfg -d    (make sure you have console access as this will kill all network connections)
    3. Reboot
    4. Add Hyper-V role
    5. Create your vSwitch.

In the past I was running netcfg -d without removing Hyper-V first, this doesn't seem to work.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad that your issue was resolved successfully. 

Your technical and kindly patience are very appreciated.

Thanks for your sharing as it would also be helpful to others who encounters a similar issue.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:45 PM