Send message to the users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Everytime when we need to reboot the system we need to send an email to the users that are logged on the servers. It happened a lot that users don't read mail and because of that, they never log off. To prevent data loss, is there a way to send message via powershell so that message pop-up on the screen?

Monday, October 9, 2017 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Try this one. It will send msg to the computers in the computers ou. You can modify it so that fits your req

(Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Computers,DC=domain,DC=com" -Filter *).Name | Foreach-Object {Invoke-Command -ComputerName $_ {msg * "Please close all open files. The Server will be shut down in 5 Minutes"}}

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.,

NEDIMMEHIC.ORG

• Edited by Nedim Mehic Monday, October 9, 2017 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by D-TOXXX Monday, October 9, 2017 11:47 AM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Use PowerShell to run it in a loop with a list of computers.

Since you are not a PowerShell scripter then you can just put 10 lines in a batch file with the message and one computer per line.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, October 9, 2017 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by D-TOXXX Monday, October 9, 2017 11:48 AM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 7:22 AM

Since you are not a PowerShell scripter then you can just put 10 lines in a batch file with the message and one computer per line.

\_(ツ)_/

Why would he do that? Did you check my command? With that command you can send message to all servers in an OU.

(Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Computers,DC=domain,DC=com" -Filter *).Name | Foreach-Object {Invoke-Command -ComputerName $_ {msg * "Your message"}}

NEDIMMEHIC.ORG

Monday, October 9, 2017 7:27 AM

All replies

• This is a basic Windows utility and does not require PS.

msg /?

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, October 9, 2017 5:56 AM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 5:55 AM
  • Hi

Check this out

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2597-send-a-pop-up-message-to-a-single-computer

NTRao

Monday, October 9, 2017 6:18 AM
  • No one seems to know how to read the instructions:

No need for any kind of remoting.  Just use MSG. 

MSG   {username | sessionname | sessionid | @filename | *}
         [/SERVER:servername] [/TIME:seconds] [/V]   [/W] [message]

It is critical to learn how to read instructions if you want to be a technician or scripter.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, October 9, 2017 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Try this one. It will send msg to the computers in the computers ou. You can modify it so that fits your req

(Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Computers,DC=domain,DC=com" -Filter *).Name | Foreach-Object {Invoke-Command -ComputerName $_ {msg * "Please close all open files. The Server will be shut down in 5 Minutes"}}

NEDIMMEHIC.ORG

Thank you, it works perfectly
    Monday, October 9, 2017 7:16 AM
  • No one seems to know how to read the instructions:

No need for any kind of remoting.  Just use MSG. 

MSG   {username | sessionname | sessionid | @filename | *}
         [/SERVER:servername] [/TIME:seconds] [/V]   [/W] [message]

It is critical to learn how to read instructions if you want to be a technician or scripter.

\_(ツ)_/

How can you send msg to all computers in OU (If we have 10 computers in OU -like RDS Session hosts) with this? 
    Monday, October 9, 2017 7:17 AM

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, October 9, 2017 7:22 AM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 7:22 AM

\_(ツ)_/

Why would he do that? Did you check my command? With that command you can send message to all servers in an OU.

(Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Computers,DC=domain,DC=com" -Filter *).Name | Foreach-Object {Invoke-Command -ComputerName $_ {msg * "Your message"}}

NEDIMMEHIC.ORG

Why do you think you need Invoke-Command. MSG remotes without that.  It will just make the whole script much more prone t failure and assumes the user knows how t use PowerShell when it is clear that he doesn't.

It usually always best to use the simplest methods in scripting, programming or any technology.

\_(ツ)_/

• Unmarked as answer by D-TOXXX Monday, October 9, 2017 12:59 PM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with jrv when he said "simplest is often the best", but sometimes you have to do things more complex. In my case I couldn't use msg.exe method remoting for company reasons. But I can use powershell so you can still do this (I didn't copy the Get-ADcomputer ... jrv already did that):

Invoke-WmiMethod -Class Win32_Process -Name Create -ArgumentList "C:\Windows\System32\msg.exe * 'you_message'"
    Hope it helps. (I used it in a workflow and it works very well)

The key of learning is practice.

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:20 AM
  • It is not possible to block the MSG port as it is the SMB port.  I don't think this is a case.  Only Admins can use MSG.  If the program was blocked it would not work with WMI or wit remoting so I doubt that it is disallowed.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:26 AM
  • You're right, but it is a political reason, not technical. We have to use Powershell if we want to make any remoting operation.

The key of learning is practice.

Monday, October 9, 2017 12:23 PM
  • I agree with you Arnaud and msg cannot be used in my example. 
    Monday, October 9, 2017 12:58 PM