Cant get slave SSD to be recognized RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a gaming computer and had a 250GB SSD as my boot drive. I have since bought a 1TB SSD and installed it, then imaged the original disk to the new one, then removed the original. Now I want to use the original 250GB SSD drive as a slave for pics or other stuff.  When I plug in the drive as a slave Windows 10 doesn't recognize that it is there. It doesn't show up on control panel or anywhere else I look.  Any ideas?
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Dunmpoiuy1,

"then imaged the original disk to the new one"
    How did you do that?

"It doesn't show up on control panel or anywhere else I look."
    Is it a USB or SATA disk? Is it shown in the BIOS or the disk management? Have you tried to plug the disk to another machine to the have a test?
    If you are using SATA, please pay attention to the disk mode in BIOS. For SSD, we should choose "AHCI" mode. If it is not listed in the BIOS, we should troubleshoot the hardware issue.

If you are using USB, please try different USB ports. Try to update or reinstall the USB drivers from the device manager. It is recommended to download the Windows 10 compatible driver for the device from the device manufacturer website.

If it is listed in the disk management but not in the Windows Explorer, please assign a drive letter for the disk.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 8, 2016 6:13 AM