none
Windows 2008 R2 server losing access to domain resources

Question

• I have a server which appears to be losing access to everything on the domain.  This issue was discovered when one of my users was trying to RDP to the server.  while trying to connect they got this message:

Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the remote computer because there is a time or date difference between your computer and the remote computer.  Make Sure your computer's clock is set to the correct time, and then try connecting again.

I have checked the time/Date/timezone on the server and all appear to be correct with our domain time and with my workstation time.  When I logged on through the console I was unable to login due to the error:  no logon servers available to service the logon request.  I am able to ping both local Domain controllers from the server. I thought that this might be a DNS issue but I am able to resolve ourdomain.com from the server as it is having issues.  The other servers in our domain haven't had any of these issues.

In the event logs I see error 1054 Group Policy failed Windows could not obtain the name of the domain controller.   

If I reboot the server, then everything works as it is supposed to for a few hours and then the problems return.

I tried removing the server from the the domain and adding it back in but this did not resolve the problem.

I tried updating the virtual NIC to vmxnet3 driver with no change in behaviour

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi

Please share UNEDITED "ipconfig /all" result from this problematic server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Edited by Burak Uğur Monday, February 20, 2017 7:34 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 7:29 PM
  • > /Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the remote computer because there is a time or date difference between your computer and the remote computer.  Make Sure your computer's clock is set to the correct time, and then try connecting again./

I've never seen this error being "the wrong error"...

> I tried updating the virtual NIC to vmxnet3 driver with no change in behaviour

Double check how time is set on the RDS server - either domain or VM Integration services, but NOT both...

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:58 AM
  • If there is "Automatically detect RD Gateway server settings" is configured then change it to "Do not use an RD Gateway server" in Options-->Advanced-->Settings and try.

Along with that i would suggest to have a look  on the IP seeting may be remote computer has incorrect DNS server IP address and it was using router as DNS server(in this case also it will resolve to domain name). Changing the DNS to domain controller as DNS will fixes the problem in that case.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:22 AM