Questions about Management Pack RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir,

Sorry I am new to SCOM, and I want to know the following but please if you can mention /describe the steps here "I do not want to go into technect pages":

• How to know each MP what is used for? "IN other words which servers are controller by which MP"
    • Where to see last time this server was reported as per the managment pack?
    • How to Export MP?
    • How to Export Customized Management Pack?
    • Is there any relation between ACS and Management Pack? "In my enviroment there is 1 SCOM Server and 1 ACS Server"

Please some details about the steps here.

Thank you very much

Monday, May 2, 2011 4:33 PM

Answers

• I need to check it tomorrow, but mainly I mean those 2 questions in general, I remeber I saw Exchange MP SQL MP AD MP, but the 2 questions still the same,

Where to see servers are discovered and monitored by them MPs?

Where to see the last reporting time and date?

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:29 PM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jean,

Well tecnet pages are very informative and they do contain procedures you are asking for. DO you really want us to copy those texts here?

export mp - scom console - adminsitration - management packs - select management pack - click export. This is normally what you would do with the custom management apcks (the ones that are unsealed.

cant see last contacted this way. management server will create heartbeat failure alerts if a machines misses a few of those.

what an mp is used for.. well most have hints in their name - like SQL or Exchange. They will discover a role and monitor it.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Monday, May 2, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Dear Bob,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry for my long questions, but I know some profissioinal people like you can help alot.

I understand that we need to discover and Monitor, however, currently I am in enviroment no one have any information about it, I have to have answer for some questions.

for these I still need to know each Server to which MP he belong, for example there are 7 OCS Servers, but I have to check if all of them are belong to OCS MP, so where can I see that?

In the same Time, I have to know where did those server reported to SCOM Last time?

So kindly help me on those 2 questions.

Thanks for ur effort

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi!

I have not seen the OCS MP but can't you see a folder for the MP in Monitoring?

In there you should see if OCS object have been created for your seven servers.

/Roger

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I need to check it tomorrow, but mainly I mean those 2 questions in general, I remeber I saw Exchange MP SQL MP AD MP, but the 2 questions still the same,

Where to see servers are discovered and monitored by them MPs?

Where to see the last reporting time and date?

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:29 PM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 9:59 PM
  • On the reporting time/date question, you cannot get this data.  If the agent on a server is not responding, you will know it since it will heartbeat alert.

If the state views for your individual technology folders (Monitoring view) are empty for a given technology, troubleshoot discovery or read the guide to see if you needed to configure the MP before deploying it.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, May 2, 2011 11:18 PM
  • Dear Dan,

Did you read all the discussion???

Dear Bob,

your answers was the best one, please would u tell something if you do not mind.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

You can also check the following article:

SCOM R2: What is being monitored by it?

http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2011/02/scom-r2-what-is-being-monitored-by-it.html

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Q: How to know each MP what is used for.

A: Read the management pack guide related to the management pack. In the adminstration view you can see the exact names of the management packs (most of them also have a very short description on the purpose of the management pack, perhaps that is enough).

Q:Where to see last time this server was reported as per the managment pack?

A:This can not be found, while this is not how SCOM works. SCOM works as management by exception. Normally this means: no news is good news, so as long as there is no alert and the agent is communicating (no heartbeat alerts) you are fine.

You can however detect which class of a management pack is discovered on a server, using the "Discoverd Inventory" view in the SCOM console and use "Change Target Type...." from the actions pane. And you can also retrieve which rules are active on a agent (for a single agent only) using the agent health view.

Q: How to export MP

A: Use this script:

$rootMS = '<YOUR RMS FQDN NAME>'

add-pssnapin "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager.Client";
    set-location "OperationsManagerMonitoring::";
    new-managementGroupConnection -ConnectionString:$rootMS;

$mps = get-managementpack
    foreach($mp in $mps)
    {
    export-managementpack -managementpack $mp -path "<YOUR FULL PATH TO STORE THE OUTPUT>"
    }

Q: How to Export Customized Management Pack?

A: See above or Bob's answer.

Q:Is there any relation between ACS and Management Pack? "In my enviroment there is 1 SCOM Server and 1 ACS Server"

A:No

But most of all I would encourage you to read the technet pages!

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Ok, if that's how you want to play it  - good luck to you.

Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Have been away from the screen for a day. I see you have progressed already and Marc and Dan also added information to the questions.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:01 PM