none
DPM2012 slow for Disk to Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Just want to pick your brains if as I am running out of thoughts to solve this one.

Just to give an idea of the setup:
    Physical DPM Server:
    Windows Server 2012
    System Center DPM 2012 SP1 RU2
    Whitebox 8GB RAM, 6 Core AMD
    HP P212 SAS Array with 2x3TB NLSAS RAID1 Arrays for DPM D2D
    HP LTO5 SAS 24 Bay library

Virtual File Server – VMWARE 5.1 2vCPU, 4GBRAM
    Windows Server 2012
    System Center DPM 2012 SP1 RU2 Agent
    Separate VHD for system
    Deduplication enabled on 1TB VHD for File server (on 4x450GB 15K SAS RAID5 ARRAY with 8GB FC to ESXi host)

Gigabit Network link between 2 hosts

I've got a this one Windows Server 2012 File Server with just under 1 TB of documents on one volume and whenever I perform a disk to disk to tape backup the disk to disk part crawls (eg 20GB transferred to the replica in 24 hours).

If I place the same Volume in a protection group that goes directly to tape I can perform the 850-900GB in at 600Mbits/s+ for most of the backup to have it done in under 4hours

I have a number of other servers in the same protection group that do disk to disk as well (incl another 3 Server 2012 File Servers) and I will quite happily flood the 1Gbit Ethernet with traffic to the disks and work correctly.

Things i've looked at:

• Perfmon does not show high disk queues or latency on either host when I perform D2D.
    • Put in AV exceptions for DPMRA.exe and tmp directories on both hosts
    • tried disabling tcp chimney on both hosts
    • both hosts have latest NIC drivers
    • does not matter if its in or out of production hours.
    • Re-installed DPM agent on fileserver

In the end I really just got fed up of having this server in a D2D2T protection group as the replica will pretty much never create. I did not have a lot of luck creating a manual replica with a windows backup restore as the documentation seams a little sketchy.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Pete

• Edited by PeterGGG Monday, May 13, 2013 11:56 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 11:55 PM

Answers

• Closing for housekeeping.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:23 PM