How to calculate list backup size? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys, I need to calculate a list backup possible size for some reasons, but can not find any info about it... I know, there are lots of factors that make an influence on it (f.e. site users, permission levels and etc... 

So what the list backup size after using export-spweb command?

And how can I also determine the size of a possible farm backup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Anton

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Anton,

I think you would like to know the list and far size before backing up. You can use the StoreMan.aspx page to get the size for each sites, lists and libraries. The StoreMan.aspx page is available in SP1 of SharePoint server.

For more information, please refer to this site:

Service Pack 1 - Storage Metrics (StorMan.aspx): http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2011/06/28/service-pack-1-storage-metrics-storman-aspx.aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

The storage metrics is updated by the Storage Metrics Processing timer job. This timer job is set to run every 5 minutes by default. You can view this job in Central Administration>Monitoring>Review Job Definitions.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:44 AM

All replies

• For example, list has 20000 items, 20 additional fields and there are 3000 users who have access to the site.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Hi Anton,

I think you would like to know the list and far size before backing up. You can use the StoreMan.aspx page to get the size for each sites, lists and libraries. The StoreMan.aspx page is available in SP1 of SharePoint server.

For more information, please refer to this site:

Service Pack 1 - Storage Metrics (StorMan.aspx): http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2011/06/28/service-pack-1-storage-metrics-storman-aspx.aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Thank's for the reply, Entan!

This tool seems to be quite usefull for me:) List size is almost the same as backup size(104,9 Kb vs 106Kb). By the way, what could be the reason of this difference?

And one more thing: those storage metrics page might have some time to update its data, right?

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

The storage metrics is updated by the Storage Metrics Processing timer job. This timer job is set to run every 5 minutes by default. You can view this job in Central Administration>Monitoring>Review Job Definitions.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:44 AM