none
Exchange 2013 CU2 will not install, Exchange is now in an unuseable state.

Question

• I have downloaded Exchange 2013 CU2 and attempted to install it from a local drive.  Exchange 2013 is installed on a Server 2012 Standard VM in Hyper-V.  I ran the two following commands before trying to install

setup.exe /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

Upon trying to run the installer, I recieve the following error.

Error:
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
                        & $RoleBinPath\ServiceControl.ps1 EnableServices Critical
                    " was run: "AuthorizationManager check failed.".

During my first install attept, the error was on step 4 of 15. I have tried to rerun the setup with no luck.  I noticed the installer leaves all the Exchange services disabled, as well as winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin.  These four services are the critical services the errors refer to.  I have verified my execution policy is correct

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-ExecutionPolicy -list

Scope                                             ExecutionPolicy
                                                          -----                                             ---------------
                                                  MachinePolicy                                                Unrestricted
                                                     UserPolicy                                                   Undefined
                                                        Process                                                   Undefined
                                                    CurrentUser                                                   Undefined
                                                   LocalMachine                                                RemoteSigned

Upon trying to rerun the setup, I have ran the following commands in order to start the critical services manually

Get-Service-name winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | set-service -startuptype automatic

Get-Service-name winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | Start-Service

No matter what I do, the Exchange 2013 CU2 installer seems to fail.  I'd appreciate any possible help with this.

Thanks,

Chris

To add to what I posted, I also have the following error in the event log.

[07/22/2013 13:57:01.0279] [1] Executing:

[07/22/2013 13:57:01.0373] [1] The following 1 error(s) occurred during task execution:
    [07/22/2013 13:57:01.0373] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: AuthorizationManager check failed.
    [07/22/2013
    13:57:01.0373] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord:
    System.Management.Automation.PSSecurityException: AuthorizationManager
    check failed. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
    service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
    has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT:
    0x80070422)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Get()
       at System.Management.Automation.PsUtils.GetParentProcess(Process current)
       at System.Management.Automation.SecuritySupport.GetExecutionPolicy(String shellId, ExecutionPolicyScope scope)
       at System.Management.Automation.SecuritySupport.GetExecutionPolicy(String shellId)
       at Microsoft.PowerShell.PSAuthorizationManager.CheckPolicy(ExternalScriptInfo script, PSHost host, Exception& reason)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.PSAuthorizationManager.ShouldRun(CommandInfo
    commandInfo, CommandOrigin origin, PSHost host, Exception& reason)

at
    System.Management.Automation.AuthorizationManager.ShouldRunInternal(CommandInfo
    commandInfo, CommandOrigin origin, PSHost host)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at
    System.Management.Automation.AuthorizationManager.ShouldRunInternal(CommandInfo
    commandInfo, CommandOrigin origin, PSHost host)
       at
    System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.ShouldRun(ExecutionContext
    context, PSHost host, CommandInfo commandInfo, CommandOrigin
    commandOrigin)
       at
    System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.LookupCommandProcessor(CommandInfo
    commandInfo, CommandOrigin commandOrigin, Nullable`1 useLocalScope,
    SessionStateInternal sessionState)
       at
    System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.LookupCommandProcessor(String
    commandName, CommandOrigin commandOrigin, Nullable`1 useLocalScope)
       at System.Management.Automation.ExecutionContext.CreateCommand(String command, Boolean dotSource)

at
    System.Management.Automation.PipelineOps.AddCommand(PipelineProcessor
    pipe, CommandParameterInternal[] commandElements, CommandBaseAst
    commandBaseAst, CommandRedirection[] redirections, ExecutionContext
    context)
       at
    System.Management.Automation.PipelineOps.InvokePipeline(Object input,
    Boolean ignoreInput, CommandParameterInternal[][] pipeElements,
    CommandBaseAst[] pipeElementAsts, CommandRedirection[][]
    commandRedirections, FunctionContext funcContext)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`6.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
    [07/22/2013 13:57:01.0373] [1] [ERROR] The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
                    " was run: "AuthorizationManager check failed.".
    [07/22/2013 13:57:01.0373] [1] [ERROR] AuthorizationManager check failed.
    [07/22/2013
    13:57:01.0373] [1] [ERROR] The service cannot be started, either
    because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated
    with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)
    [07/22/2013
    13:57:01.0388] [1] [ERROR-REFERENCE]
    Id=AllRolesMidFileCopyComponent___af0f15afe35c4e7cba121e546f405214
    Component=EXCHANGE14:\Current\Release\Shared\Datacenter\Setup
    [07/22/2013 13:57:01.0388] [1] Setup is stopping now because of one or more critical errors.
    [07/22/2013 13:57:01.0388] [1] Finished executing component tasks.
    [07/22/2013 13:57:01.0435] [1] Ending processing Start-MidFileCopy
    [07/22/2013 13:58:09.0121] [0] End of Setup
    [07/22/2013 13:58:09.0121] [0] **********************************************

I also have these two errors in event viewer that keep occuring. 

Event 2280, IIS-W3SVC-WP

The Module DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\kerbauth.dll failed to load.  The data is the error.

Event 2300, IIS-W3SVC-WP

The
    worker process cannot access the CLR configuration file at 'C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft\Exchange
    Server\V15\bin\GenericAppPoolConfigWithGCServerEnabledFalse.config'. 
    Verify that the file exists and that the worker process has read access
    to the file.

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• I kept quickly running the following two commands while the install was happening

Get-Service-name winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | set-service -startuptype
    automatic

This caused the install to succeed. 

• Marked as answer by ChrisCanada Monday, July 22, 2013 5:23 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 5:23 PM

All replies

• I kept quickly running the following two commands while the install was happening

Get-Service-name winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | set-service -startuptype
    automatic

This caused the install to succeed. 

• Marked as answer by ChrisCanada Monday, July 22, 2013 5:23 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Hi

When you ran the 2 commands above did you open up CMD with the "Run as Administrator" option?

Did your account have full admin access on the box and did you run the setup from a command prompt with elevated rights as well?

Were all the services started when you attempted the install?

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:31 PM
  • I ran all commands as a full administrator in an elevated powershell window.  I started those services manually before the install.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Thanks!

I had the same issue and this worked for me!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Helped me also. Lifesaver! Thanks
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Hi....

By any chance was an Active Directory or Local Group policy controlling the execution of PowerShell scripts ?

Only reason I ask is because I had the same error occur (lucky it was in a DEV/LAB environment)  and it was because of an AD Group policy that was controlling the PowerShell Execution-Policy

I found this article (Refers to Exchange 2010)..but same issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2668686

This issue occurs because the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is stopped during the installation process.  Therefore, the ServiceControl.ps1 Windows PowerShell script that runs as part of the Exchange Server 2010 SP2 installation process cannot call the WMI service to verify the execution permissions.

The text below is from the link

http://www.telnetport25.com/2010/11/quick-tip-%E2%80%93-exchange-2010-an-error-occurred-while-creating-the-iis-virtual-directory%E2%80%930x800700b7-file-already-exists%E2%80%A6/

Apparently the GPO-level execution policies depend on the WMI service to function and as part of the upgrade process, SP? stops the WMI service, at which point none of the PowerShell scripts that it uses will run any more because the execution policy will effectively be set to "Restricted".

=============================================================

For my instance,I was able to back out due to a snapshot I took of the Virtual Server in (VMware) prior....few.....

On round 2, I did the following

I set the group policy as per below

\Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows PowerShell\
    Turn on Script Execution(Not Configured)

I confirmed that all PowerShell execution policies were set to 'undefined'.

The installer will change it to "RemoteSigned" during the install process.

Below is the exact error and stage at which the error initially occurred

• Edited by Darsenator Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:18 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:07 AM
  • I encountered this problem when I was upgrading from RTM to CU3, and I was using the command line install and needed to run both of these commands immediately after the "Stopping Services" step.  I believe, based on this (even though it's for 2010): http://www.logicspot.net/index.php?id=34 that there is a better way, but this seems like a huge problem that it would appear MS should have fixed years ago.

For the record, I reviewed these documents and followed their directions (except I changed local machine policy to be unrestricted instead of undefined, and also for the record, there was no AD policy):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981474

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/04/02/released-exchange-server-2013-rtm-cumulative-update-1.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/07/09/released-exchange-server-2013-rtm-cumulative-update-2.aspx

I couldn't find a blog for CU3, but figured the commands in CU1 would cover everything (odd that CU2 doesn't even mention PrepareDomain but CU1 does).  Also, since I don't have the link handy now, I will say that I found the CU1 and CU2 blogs from a CU3 page and the kb article from the CU1 and CU2 blogs.

Install still failed for me after all of this, but the failure was several steps later.  Now off to work on that.

Monday, February 17, 2014 5:41 PM
  • I had to do this also to get exchange 2013 to install on server 2008 R2. Every time it went to "stopping Services" during the install it would kill the WMI service. I had to actually create a loop script in powershell to get them to stay on. Ridiculous!

$i = 1
    do 
    {
    Write-Host $i; 
    Get-Service -name winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | set-service -startuptype automatic
    Get-Service -name winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | Start-Service
    $i++
    }
    until ($i -gt 180)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:17 PM
  • This worked for me but there needs to be a space between Get-Service and -name. If you simply copy and paste the commands, there is not a space, and it will give an error message.

Thanks

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:55 PM
  • I found this article around 3am after the upgrade failed 3 times, it helped me resolve the same issue upgrading from CU4 to CU14 with a failing install.  Thanks, worked for me!

Edit...

I did alter your commands slightly to run in powershell

Get-Service winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | set-service -startuptype
    automatic
    Get-Service winmgmt, remoteregistry, w3svc, iisadmin | Start-Service

• Edited by JTackett Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:32 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:31 PM