none
Exchange Server version confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Exchange server 2010 SP3 installed.

The WindowsUpdate asks me to install Update Rollup 8-v2:
    Rollup 8-v2

But I have installed Update Rollup 24 already:

Update Rollup 24

So I started to examine Exchange version and I discovered powershell "Get-ExchangeServer" returns 14.3 123.4:

Get-ExchangeServer | select name, admindisplayversion
    Name                                                                                                AdminDisplayVersion
    ----                                                                                                -------------------
    Exchange01                                                                                             Version 14.3 (Build 123.4)

Same in the EMC -> Server Configuration.

The About Exchange Server dialog shows 14.03.0399.00:
    About

Only the powershell "Get-Command ExSetup" returns correct version (Rollup 24):

Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}

ProductVersion   FileVersion      FileName
    --------------   -----------      --------
    14.03.0419.000   14.03.0419.000   C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ExSetup.exe

So, is my Exchange Server only partially updated? Are some files still in the old version? It looks like Windows Update thinks so, if it wants to install the old patch ...

• Edited by .meu Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:44 AM

All replies

• 123.4 is SP3 release but does not include the rollups.  Update is correct and proper way to check versions is by file version and you can find detailed build info here --> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/new-features/build-numbers-and-release-dates?view=exchserver-2019

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks from ALL versions of Exchange Offline EDB's, On-Premises Exchange Databases & Office 365. Export, Migrate/Recover into On-Premises Exchange Server, Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:22 PM
  • 123.4 is SP3 release but does not include the rollups.  Update is correct and proper way to check versions is by file version and you can find detailed build info here --> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/new-features/build-numbers-and-release-dates?view=exchserver-2019

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks from ALL versions of Exchange Offline EDB's, On-Premises Exchange Databases & Office 365. Export, Migrate/Recover into On-Premises Exchange Server, Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Agree with Troy. 

You may manually install latest Update Rollup 28 and see if the Windows update reminder still exists.

Download link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58354

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Thank you for valuable advice.

However, after installing RollUp 28 Exchange still wants to install Rollup 8-v2.

The version is correct:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}

14.03.0461.001   14.03.0461.001   C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ExSetup.exe
    But I did not say before: the Exchange is connected to WSUS. I discovered this: when in windows update I click "Check online for updates form Microsoft Update" then it does not find Rollup 8, but instead Rollup 29, which is not listed HERE  (yet).

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Thank you for valuable advice.

However, after installing RollUp 28 Exchange still wants to install Rollup 8-v2.

The version is correct:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Command ExSetup | ForEach {$_.FileVersionInfo}

14.03.0461.001   14.03.0461.001   C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\ExSetup.exe
    But I did not say before: the Exchange is connected to WSUS. I discovered this: when in windows update I click "Check online for updates form Microsoft Update" then it does not find Rollup 8, but instead Rollup 29, which is not listed HERE  (yet).

Oh! Thanks for your reminding! 

Rollup 29 is just released on 7/2, maybe this article is not updated timely. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4509410/description-of-the-security-update-for-microsoft-exchange-server-2010

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:17 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:38 AM