Windows 7 - CPU usage RRS feed

• Question

• I only got this laptop in January and since about May, I can't be on it for too long without it slowing down and almost freezing and telling me that there is high CPU usage. Usually this happens if I am watching something on iPlayer or something like that. I live with a self confessed computer geek and he thought he might be able to fix it by looking at the memory, but he discovered that, as I told him, I don't do much on my laptop and there was not a problem with memory. So he did a disk clean-up anyway but nothing has changed. Can anyone suggest any thing else?!

Friday, October 7, 2011 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi, Start by making sure all your drivers are up to date. Did your "geek" friend look at what was running at the time of freeze/hang?.
    The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Sir, I Suggest you to check Services on startup 

Start --> Run... -> msconfig --> ok --> startup 

and try to unchecked some software and restart the machine , after that check your CPU usage 

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Friday, October 7, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

For CPU high usage issue, I recommend that you may use anti-ware to scan the virus in your computer first.

If this problem only occurs when you using Internet Explorer, please check the issue with no add-ons mode first (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (on add-ons)). In case this problem disappears, we may consider this problem is caused by add-ons.

Also you may perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem is caused by any other third-party software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the problem still occurs in Clean boot. You may run the Resource Monitor to check the issue:

1.       Click Start button, type Resource Monitor in the search bar, press enter.

2.       Chose the CPU tag, check the CPU status. Check Which service or process occupied volume CPU resource.

For further research, please check the process in Task Manager and collect the following DLL information  via Process Explorer:

1.       Download the Process Explorer form the following :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

2.       Run Process Explorer, click Agree to open it.

3.       Click View on the Tool menu, and select “Show Lower Pane”.

4.      Click View on the Tool menu, click “Lowe Pane View”, and select “DLLs”.

5.       Try to duplicate the problem.

6.       Then highlight process which occupied volume CPU resource in the left pane.

7.       Click File in the Toole menu, and then select “Save As…”.

8.       Save “Explorer.EXE” and upload it via SkyDrive, then post a link here.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:54 AM