Slow Performance over Network Mapped Drive RRS feed

• Question

• We are seeing slow performance when opening, saving, and printing documents where the path is through a mapped network drive.   It is especially noticeable when printing, as there is a 5-10 second delay before the print screen comes up.  I can access the very same document using the UNC path, and the print screen will come up almost instantaneously.  Also, this problem is isolated to our Windows XP machines.  We have several Windows 7 desktops and they are not affected.

Some background:

Within the last couple months, we migrated our servers from a conventional Server 2003 setup, to server virtualization using VMware.  We P2Ved some of the existing servers, as well as standing up some new VMs running Server 2008.  The problem occurs with drives mapped to both Server 2003 and Server 2008 servers. 

The drives are mapped using Group Policy Preferences.  However, manually mapping a drive produces the same result.

I'm not sure when this problem started, as feedback from users has been inconclusive.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 1:53 PM

Answers

• Try to ping the I for the file server and observe the latency from different systems. Tracrt might also help here.
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:43 AM