Login Screen Issue RRS feed

• Question

• After installing windows 7 when i turn on the computer the login screen comes up in a VGA resolution, 480x600 and 16 bit color. This puzzles me because when i log on it goes back to my native resolution of 1280x800. Another strange thing is when i log off or do switch user it remains at the native resolution. The problem only seems to arise when i restart or start up the computer. I'm sure there is a simple solution for this but i have tried myself to fix the problem but i have had no success.

Please Help
    Thanks
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:01 AM

Answers

• Hello ManwithAPlan,

This is curious indeed.  Are you using onboard graphics card or a dedicated card?  It could be that upon boot the system doesnt recognize that you can handle the higher resolution and effects.  It is only after getting logged in and the drivers loaded that the system operates properly.

Is there a BIOS update that you could do?  Maybe that will be of assistance as well.

regards,
    ~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 2, 2009 1:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Hi ManWithAPlan,

Please first try downloading this driver for Windows Vista 32 bit from Dell. What is the result? If the issue persists, please perform the steps below:

1. Please go to Start, type Device Manager in the Search box and then press Enter.

2. Expand "Display adapters".

3. Right click on your display card and then click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer.

5. After restarting the computer, please reinstall the driver from the manufacturer and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hello ManwithAPlan,

This is curious indeed.  Are you using onboard graphics card or a dedicated card?  It could be that upon boot the system doesnt recognize that you can handle the higher resolution and effects.  It is only after getting logged in and the drivers loaded that the system operates properly.

Is there a BIOS update that you could do?  Maybe that will be of assistance as well.

regards,
    ~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I probably should have specified my system. This problem is on an Dell XPS M1330, with a 8400M GS video adapter. I did update the bios but that did not help, and the driver is up to date. Its weird because my room mate with the exact computer as me installed windows 7 with out this problem. I'm at a loss..
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Hi ManWithAPlan,

Please first try downloading this driver for Windows Vista 32 bit from Dell. What is the result? If the issue persists, please perform the steps below:

1. Please go to Start, type Device Manager in the Search box and then press Enter.

2. Expand "Display adapters".

3. Right click on your display card and then click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer.

5. After restarting the computer, please reinstall the driver from the manufacturer and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:31 AM
  • actually the problem is quite a easy fix ive heard alot of people with this an nvidia card.. simply instead of using the nvidia control panel right click the desktop and go to screen resoulution pick advanced then the panel kinda pops up then pick moniter and at the bottom change to 32 bit color... i now got 720p in aero.it used to disable it an go in 16 bit.ur welcome.:)
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:57 PM