How does MAP identify the software packages installed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a client who asked how the MAP tool identifies the software packages installed (does it use UUID, directory structure, or existing files)?  I believe it uses WMI calls to identify hardware and software. I did not see any documentation on exactly what calls the software sends to the computers.

Thank you in advance for your helpl.

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:41 PM

All replies

• MAP will report any software installed that would show up in the Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) list. MAP gets the list of installed programs from the following registry entries:

Please note: The tables and registry keys listed could change in future releases.

MAP fills the products_uninstall table with entries from these registry keys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\*

It also fills the products table with entries from these registry keys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\installer\UserData\*\Products\*\InstallProperties<//span>

MAP will show everything from the products_uninstall table with SystemComponent != 1 and without ParentDisplayName or ParentKeyName. (This results in the same list that ARP shows). In addition, we show items from the products table that don't have corresponding entries in the products_uninstall table.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:18 PM