none
DPM isn't expiring backup off tape to free it up, hence tapes are filling up RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running DPM 2010 Rollup1

I have multiple Protection group each backing up the same

Each Satuday backup to tape, expire after 4 weeks

Each first Saturday of the month backup, keep for 12 months

Each First Saturday of the year backup keep for 7 years

I have Co-location of data on tape: Enabled

What I have notied is that I getting tape full issues

When I check the tape contents in the system I can see that there are a lot tape jobs that are past the expire date but haven't bee overwritten.

How can I get a backup to tape job to overwrite an expired job so the tape releases some space?

Or because it is a tape all it can't do this?

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:26 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:41 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

If the view tape details show all recovery points are expired, but the GUI is not showing that, see if you can successfully mark the tape as free.  If so, then DPM will reuse it.  If you get an error, then there really must be an active (unexpired) RP still on that tape.

You can save this as a power shell script as tape-contents.ps1 and run it in the DPM Power shell to show you all recovery points on all tapes.  Expired tapes will still show datasets,  tape that show free(contains data) will not list datasets.  I guess see if the output of this jives with the tape details in the GUI.

$Lib = Get-DPMLibrary "lc2-dpmlib1"
    $tpList = Get-Tape $Lib

foreach ($tp in $tpList)
    {
    $tp | fl label,barcode
    Get-RecoveryPoint $Tp | fl
    }

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:24 AM

All replies

• Does anyone have any idea?

Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:11 PM
  •  

Hi,

If the view tape details show all recovery points are expired, but the GUI is not showing that, see if you can successfully mark the tape as free.  If so, then DPM will reuse it.  If you get an error, then there really must be an active (unexpired) RP still on that tape.

You can save this as a power shell script as tape-contents.ps1 and run it in the DPM Power shell to show you all recovery points on all tapes.  Expired tapes will still show datasets,  tape that show free(contains data) will not list datasets.  I guess see if the output of this jives with the tape details in the GUI.

$Lib = Get-DPMLibrary "lc2-dpmlib1"
    $tpList = Get-Tape $Lib

foreach ($tp in $tpList)
    {
    $tp | fl label,barcode
    Get-RecoveryPoint $Tp | fl
    }

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:24 AM