exchange hybrid emails are journaled twice RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

>> The reply coming back is journaled once.

If you send from Exchange online to on-premises directly rather than reply, does this email is also journal only once?

Could you provide more detail information about how do you set journal in your organization?

Such as: Does journal is only enabled on Exchange online or both on Exchange online and on-premises? Does journal is set for all mailboxes or a particular mailbox?

I will try it with my environment and check whether is it the same phenomenon.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Hi Kyle

It is the same for direct email as reply. just going to O365. When coming from O365 it is journaled once.

The journal mailbox is on-prem

Journal rule on-prem and O365 is journal all to journal5@company

I think the issue may be to do with the email addresses for on-prem. See message info for email journaled twice, below:

Sender: phil@company.com
    Subject: single test from on-prem
    Message-Id: <31331e4a68284031901ecc71f5db01dd@EX2013.fqdn>
    To: user6t@companyIntune.mail.onmicrosoft.com

Sender: phil@company.com
    Subject: single test from on-prem
    Message-Id: <31331e4a68284031901ecc71f5db01dd@EX2013.fqdn>
    Recipient: Test.User6@company.com

The intune.mail.onmicrosoft.com address were automatically added to on-prem users when we connected to O365 and installed Hybrid.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Hi techophil,

Yes, I also think this phenomenon is caused by the change of recipient email address.

Which email address is the original address that you used, "user6t@companyIntune.mail.onmicrosoft.com" or "Test.User6@company.com".

If you send email to the another email address, does this phenomenon gone?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 10, 2019 9:30 AM
  • Hi Kyle

I just tried sending email to the intune.mail.onmicrosoft.com address and I got the same result

• Email was received by user6t
    • 2 email envelopes were received in journal mailbox. Both with same message ID. 1 to each address.

This would indicate it is an issue/feature on the Hybrid Exchange Server.

Only 1 email arrives at user6t though, so it is just the Hybrid Server sending a journal and O365 also sending a journal?

In that case, is there a way to stop the double up in Journal mailbox? or do we have to live with it and once we have all mailboxes fully on O365, it won't be an issue?

It looks like the intune address is used to get the email to O365 

Friday, May 10, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

If you send emails to a mailbox which is created on Exchange online rather than migrated from Exchange on-premises to Exchange online, does this phenomenon occurs?

I would suggest you try to use  “Get-MessageTrackingLog” and “Get-MessageTrace” find detail information about mail flow and find email address is changed from which step.

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender "phil@company.com" -MessageSubject "***"

Get-MessageTrace -MessageId "***"

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:55 AM
  • Hi Kyle

Thanks for looking into this. Yes, I get the same effect with a O365 mailbox that was created and not migrated from on-prem.

Just to note though: because we are using Hybrid, we have to create new mailbox from hybrid choosing new > Office 365 mailbox. mailbox automatically gets user@company.com and user@companyintune.mail.onmicrosoft.com addresses. The onmicrosoft address is set as remote routing address. If we create mailbox directly in O365 (add O365 license to user without mailbox), they do get a O365 mailbox, but the hybrid does not know about it.

I have looked at tracking log before and seen 2 messages for same MessageID, 1 for company.com and 1 for onmicrosoft. I will look at MessageTrace for more info.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:42 PM
  • Hi techophil,

Finally, I built my lab successfully, I send emails as yours and get the same result:

Send to a synced mailbox:

Send to an Office 365 mailbox:

So, I guess it is a normal behavior in a hybrid environment.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi Kyle

Thanks for confirming. I have found I can at least reduce the double Journaling by setting O365 Journal rule to "Internal only".

I guess unless there is a magic setting or other for Journal/Journal rule for Hybrid, we are stuck with the double up, at least until everyone is migrated.

Once we have all mailboxes in O365, I will set O365 Journal rule to "All" and turn off the Journal on on-prem.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Yes, I think put mailboxes in one side and only enable journal from this side may be the best choice.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Friday, May 17, 2019 9:37 AM
  • I am having same issue, duplicate journal emails if we add journal rules in both environment. Isnt there ways to fix this?
    Sunday, February 9, 2020 4:02 AM
  • Hi Ian

Did you see the comments from May 16 and 17?

You are stuck with the double up until all mailboxes are migrated. you can reduce the double up by setting the O365 journal rule to "internal only"

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 12:54 AM