none
Resource Availability - tasks completed early RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that the PWA Resource Availability view is meant for planning future work, not really for looking back. However, what if my resource completes a task early?

Say I assign the resource to 8 hours work next Thursday, but he completes the task work today. Resource Availability says he's still booked next Thursday even if I set the task's Actual Work to 8h and Remaining Work to 0. How can I show that the resource is now free next week so that he can be given a different task?

Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The assignment finish date can be changed to reflect that. The assignment finish date can be changed either by the project manager (e.g. in Project Pro -> Resource/Task Usage views) or if you are using the timesheets (single entry mode)/My tasks in PWA then the resource can change the finish date and remaining hours, submit the updates to the project manager and once the updates have been accepted and published the resource should appear as free next week.

If you set the Actual Work to 8 hrs, that will keep the resource as booked for the day

Hope this helps

Paul

• Marked as answer by WBCO1 Friday, October 10, 2014 10:12 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:07 PM

All replies

• If manually progressing your plan (not using task updates from PWA) then update the plan with the correct date the work happened. If you are using task updates the team member should update the date they did the work / put actual work on the actual day it happened. Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

The assignment finish date can be changed to reflect that. The assignment finish date can be changed either by the project manager (e.g. in Project Pro -> Resource/Task Usage views) or if you are using the timesheets (single entry mode)/My tasks in PWA then the resource can change the finish date and remaining hours, submit the updates to the project manager and once the updates have been accepted and published the resource should appear as free next week.

If you set the Actual Work to 8 hrs, that will keep the resource as booked for the day

Hope this helps

Paul

• Marked as answer by WBCO1 Friday, October 10, 2014 10:12 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:07 PM
  • In this case we are trying to clear out remaining work on a project that is being closed out. We don't want PWA to appear as though that work is still going to happen. What do you mean about updating with the correct date - what date field are you adjusting here?
    Friday, October 10, 2014 10:13 PM