Remove "Recover items recently removed from this folder" hyperlink in the Deleted Items Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm trying to remove the "Recover items recently removed from this folder" hyperlink from the Deleted Items Folder.

This hyperlink:

The reason I what to do this is because in my organization user believe that those mail count for their quota, so they go and empty the  "dumpster", when the ask for a restore we explain to them the use of the folder and when possible recover from a backup. We are about to deploy 12000 workstation with Windows 10 and Office 2016 (365 ProPlus) and don't want to remind them of this possibility.

Thanks 

Antonio Mourao

Antonio Mourao

Monday, December 11, 2017 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Antonio,

Based on my research and test, I am afraid currently there is no built-in option in Outlook 2016 to disable this link.

According to Office 365 client update channel releases, the feature "Recover deleted items link" was first released in Version 1607 (Build 7167.2040) on August 16, 2016:

Recover deleted items link: In the Deleted Items folder, a "Recover items recently removed from this folder" link appears above the list of deleted items, and brings up the Recover Deleted Items dialog box when the link is selected.

I tried to disable the “Recover Deleted Items” button on the ribbon in GPO using the Control ID 16299, but it didn't affect the hyperlink.

In this situation, we may have to revert back to old versions of Outlook to get rid of this feature. I have helped submit this feedback via our internal way. In the meanwhile, I'd like to encourage you also visit the Outlook UserVoice forum to vote for a similar suggestion or post your owns. Microsoft loves hearing all customers feedback and is committed to improving users' experience with the products. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tonaco Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Antonio,

Based on my research and test, I am afraid currently there is no built-in option in Outlook 2016 to disable this link.

According to Office 365 client update channel releases, the feature "Recover deleted items link" was first released in Version 1607 (Build 7167.2040) on August 16, 2016:

Recover deleted items link: In the Deleted Items folder, a "Recover items recently removed from this folder" link appears above the list of deleted items, and brings up the Recover Deleted Items dialog box when the link is selected.

I tried to disable the “Recover Deleted Items” button on the ribbon in GPO using the Control ID 16299, but it didn't affect the hyperlink.

In this situation, we may have to revert back to old versions of Outlook to get rid of this feature. I have helped submit this feedback via our internal way. In the meanwhile, I'd like to encourage you also visit the Outlook UserVoice forum to vote for a similar suggestion or post your owns. Microsoft loves hearing all customers feedback and is committed to improving users' experience with the products. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tonaco Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Hi Antonio,

I came across the thread below in UserVoice forum:

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/264636-general/suggestions/16905280-ability-to-turn-off-all-mail-recovery-options-in-e

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Hi Yuki Sun

Thanks for the information. Now we have to decide to leave "Recover deleted items" available to the user, and recover the "Dumpster" with powershell.

I already vote in the USerVoice Forum.

Antonio Mourao

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:57 PM