none
Cannot find restored project RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project Server 2010.

I backed up a project file three years ago and am unable to restore it.

The system queue says that it was successfully restored yet when I try to find it in PWA or by opening Project Professional 2010, the file isn't in the list.

It is also not in the draft list.

Any ideas?

• Edited by HFprojects Monday, September 21, 2015 1:20 PM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The fiel will be restored in the DRAFT DB, meaning that you cannot see it from PWA. But you should be able to see it from Project Pro, trying to open files from the draft DB. Try to clean your local cache and check again in MS Project Pro

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, September 21, 2015 1:36 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I restored four projects one after the other. Three of them were in the Project Pro list as you suggested. The fourth is missing and that is the one that I need.

Any other ideas please?

Monday, September 21, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Strange...

Could it be that it has been restored under another name? Or that you do not have the proper permissions to see it? Have you tried to query the DB to look for it?

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 21, 2015 2:51 PM
  • What is odd about the file is that only one copy was backed up. I have an automatic, nightly backup run and most files have a few copies.

I don't think it would have been restored under a different name. The queue showed that the restore ran successfully and I did it a number of times. Yet the file is nowhere!

How do I run a DB query to find it?

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:05 AM
  • I think it is being restored under a different name. The reason I say this is that my administrative backup backed it up at midnight, so I now have two copies of the file in backup. Yet when I restore either of them, I can't see the file.

I wasn't able to search the db to look for the file as am not sure how to do it.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:57 AM
  • You should ask to your farm admin who will be able to query the DB via SQL.

Please tell us, but I'm pretty sure that the culprits have been renamed.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:43 AM
  • Perhaps the file has a certain security category on it and so you cannot see it?  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:38 PM
  • I think 2 ways

1) You dont have a Admin permissions so You dont see all projects in PWA

2) this was a "new project" type, it created when you make a new project and didnt finish the creation. Check if You see this project in the page "Delete corporate objects" in the projects list. I mean that if You know its name and You are Admin, it must be seen there 

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:41 PM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll answer them here:

• Our farm admin is on leave so I'll have to wait to query the db
    • The file may have security category but I don't know how to find out what it is. I have admin permissions and should be able to see "everything".
    • Umnov suggests that it was a "new project" type and it didn't finish  creation. That is possible but then why was it backup up in the first place? Secondly , even though I couldn't see the restored file two days ago, the system automatically backed it up even though I hadn't made any changes to it
    • Umnov, I can see the project  in "Delete cororate objects", so it obviously exists. .
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:01 PM
  • Do you have a category that grant You permission to see all project in server? 
    Friday, September 25, 2015 11:08 AM
  • I agree with Umnov, this is some type of category permission stopping you seeing this.  I the 1st instance review your categories, and see if there are any specific projects which are in their own category. If so, and this project is one of them, then remove the project from that category.  Assuming you are a member of the Administrators group, and assuming default permissions, you should then have edit capability on this project (and every other project within the My Organisation category)

Friday, September 25, 2015 11:14 AM
  • It sounds as if the project may be in a different category. How do I get a list of all projects in each category?

I have access to all the organizations, which includes the My Organization category but the file is still not showing.

Incidentally, I now have three versions of the project backed up (automatically) which means the file is being restored but we can't see it.

Sunday, September 27, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi HFProjects

To get a list of all projects in each category, edit each category... 

"In the 1st instance review your categories, and see if there are any specific projects which are in their own category. If so, and this project is one of them, then remove the project from that category.  "

Sunday, September 27, 2015 3:35 PM
  • To answer your question (Ben and Umnov), I reviewed all the categories and didn't see any specific project in their own category. Most of the categories are checked as showing all projects in the db. The My Projects category is an exception.

I tried adding only my 'missing project' to the My Projects category, but this didn't make much difference and it didn't show up.

I see the project in the list off all available projects when I edit the Categories. As I said before, it is also listed as a project that is backed up and can be restored.

I think it may be a category issue but am not sure what to do next.

Your help is appreciated.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Hi HF Projects,

Without seeing this I'm not sure what else do suggest, I've run out of the usual ideas available on the forum. You could engage an external party's help to remote in and help you resolve the issue.  I expect that they would charge for this.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:01 PM