none
Exchange Server 2013 - Mailflow - Transport Rules - Autoreply to External Email Addresses and Customizable Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have two question relating to this topic:

Question 1 - Can I set up an auto reply message (e.g. Thank you for submitting your enquiry....) to any emails that are only external and not including our domain to the organisation for a specific email address. I need to be able to specify other domains also that I don't want this rule to be applied to?

Question 2 - If this is possible, is there a customizable template that can be used for the auto reply message?

Hopefully someone can help!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Istanley,

Based on my experience, it can be done.

As for your question, there is my idea for your reference:

1. Create a new Mailbox. For example: DoNotReply@Contoso.com

2. Configure Automatic Replies for this mailbox to be sent and includes an external message.You could configure it in OWA or use the command below:

Set-MailboxAutoReplyConfiguration -Identity DoNotReply -AutoReplyState Enabled -ExternalMessage " Thank you for submitting your enquiry..."

3. Apply a Retention Policy for the mailbox that delete mails after 1 week.

4. Hide the mailbox from address list.

5. Configure a new Transport rule that if the mail sends from somebody, then BCC to DoNotReply@Contoso.com.

Hope it can be helpful.

Best regards,

Eric

• Marked as answer by lstanley Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:58 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

You could try creating a rule in Outlook like this.

1. Select "Apply rule on messages | receive"

2. Select "send only to me".

3. Select "have server reply using a specific message", and define the message template.

4. Select "except with specific words in sender's address", and add the words you need.

I have tried it on my lab, and it works.

Hope it can be helpful.

Best regards,

Eric

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Istanley,

Based on my experience, it can be done.

As for your question, there is my idea for your reference:

1. Create a new Mailbox. For example: DoNotReply@Contoso.com

2. Configure Automatic Replies for this mailbox to be sent and includes an external message.You could configure it in OWA or use the command below:

Set-MailboxAutoReplyConfiguration -Identity DoNotReply -AutoReplyState Enabled -ExternalMessage " Thank you for submitting your enquiry..."

3. Apply a Retention Policy for the mailbox that delete mails after 1 week.

4. Hide the mailbox from address list.

5. Configure a new Transport rule that if the mail sends from somebody, then BCC to DoNotReply@Contoso.com.

Hope it can be helpful.

Best regards,

Eric

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hi Eric,

This needs to be completed from another program either exchange / ?

There is a problem if you configure this from an actual mailbox / OWA due to the lack of configuration options available.

Here's a more detailed scenario:

We have a mailbox that our records department use e.g. internalcomms@ourdomain.com to register incoming mail from. This also has an alias that external people send to e.g. communicaitons@ourdomain.com . We still need staff within our domain to send emails to the internalcomms@douromain.com and do not want the auto message (e.g. Thank you for submitting your enquiry....) sent to those internal staff. There is the possibility of a looping being created otherwise.

Only people outside the organisation sending an email to communicaitons@ourdomain.com should receive the auto reply message (e.g. Thank you for submitting your enquiry....). 

We need the ability to add in an exception to the rule to bypass or not process the rule if the sender is a part of *@ourdomain.com which means they will not receive an auto reply. We also need to be able to add other domain we specify e.g. *@someoneelsedomain.com not to receive the auto reply.

We currently use MailMarshal to perform the above task but will be decommissioning this during the Exchange 2013 implementation soon to begin. We are not installing an Microsoft Edge Transport server that I believe does allow configurable rules like this as all of our mail will first  be routed through the Symantec / Telstra solution first. I'm still trying to find out if the Symantec solution can complete this process for us but I doubt it.

This is why I'm trying to find out if Exchange 2013 from the admin console somehow can complete the rules and exceptions that we require above.

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Stanley

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

You could try creating a rule in Outlook like this.

1. Select "Apply rule on messages | receive"

2. Select "send only to me".

3. Select "have server reply using a specific message", and define the message template.

4. Select "except with specific words in sender's address", and add the words you need.

I have tried it on my lab, and it works.

Hope it can be helpful.

Best regards,

Eric

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:09 AM
  • Thanks very much Eric.

Did more digging and found that the above scenario can be covered by using Exchange transport rules.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638183%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

X

Lisa.

Lisa Stanley

Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:58 PM