"Uninstalled" ATI driver causes BSOD RRS feed

• Question

Problem: infrequently, I get a BSOD or spontaneous reboot/shutdown while using fast user switching. When the computer reboots, the OS informs me of the unexpected shutdown, and searches for a solution. The solution it has always returned is that the "Catalyst Control Center" caused the shutdown and advises me to go to the ATI website and install an upgraded driver.

The only problem is, I don't have Catalyst Control Center installed. I was using the ATI card and drivers when I was testing the Vista Release Candidate, but the display performance was erratic (though I did have a higher experience rating of 3.4) so I switched to NVIDIA GeForce. With the NVIDIA card, installation of both RC and final release (clean install) was uneventful, but with an ER of 2.4.

I'm stumped as to why the analyzer thinks I have Catalyst Control Center installed.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:20 PM

Answers

• You can try

1. Going to Control Panel Programs and opt to uninstall the ATI Catalyst Control Center

2. If that doesn't work, you can try, unplugging your nvidia card, plugging in an ATI graphics card, install the ATI driver, reboot, uninstall the driver and opt to "[X] Delete the driver software for this device" and then shut down, plug back in your NVIDIA card and see if the issue goes away.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 1:12 AM

All replies

• You can try

1. Going to Control Panel Programs and opt to uninstall the ATI Catalyst Control Center

2. If that doesn't work, you can try, unplugging your nvidia card, plugging in an ATI graphics card, install the ATI driver, reboot, uninstall the driver and opt to "[X] Delete the driver software for this device" and then shut down, plug back in your NVIDIA card and see if the issue goes away.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 1:12 AM
  • Thanks, PCTester.

The ATI Catalyst Control Center did not appear in the list of installed programs.

So what I did was purchase and install an ATI graphics card which was Vista certified.  I had a lot of problems at first, but ATI was continuously updating its drivers, until eventually (in June) they provided a suite which installed normally and seems to be functioning fine.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:45 PM
  •  

Prosím o instalaci ATI driver causes BSOD
    Monday, February 18, 2008 10:24 AM