none
Project Server 2010 Schedule Printing Issues with IE10 RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running Project Server 2010 (December 2011 CU).  Some of our users have been upgraded to IE 10.  Having them utilize PWA while in compatibility mode seems to generally work, except for printing a schedule from PWA.  When we try to print what would be, for example, a 4 page schedule, we get 3 blank pages and then the final page is rendered correctly. 

I've researched this and I don't see others reporting this issue.  I also don't see any evidence that is a bug that might be fixed by a more recent CU than the one we are running. 

I'd be interested to know if this is a "known" issue or something specific to our configuration (and, of course) if anyone has suggestions as to how to resolve this, that would be good too.

Thanks!

lmk

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• It is not fully supported I don't believe.

You could try pressing F12 to bring up the dev toolbar, then changing the browser mode to IE7 or IE8. That will prob sort it!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Imk,

I don't think so this an generic issue. I am unable to reproduce this issue with IE10.

Try different Printer or updating printer drivers might help.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:55 PM
  • I would try printing to different printers and see if it still behaves this way.  The print drivers and printers may not be up to date and compatible with IE 10.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Michael,

Thanks for your reply.  I am able to reproduce the issue regardless of which printer I print to.  In fact, I can reproduce the issue if I print to either a PDF or a XPS document.  The issue also occurs in Print Preview mode. (So I guess on the positive side it is actually printing what it shows on the preview :)).   I have a test box that still has IE9 on it and I can repeat the exact same test using that browser and everything works fine: preview is correct and print out is correct.

What I'm getting from the postings is that schedule printing should work using IE10 in compatibility mode and I'm chasing an issue specific to our installation, vs. one that a later cumulative update would fix.  In other words, there's no specific CU that introduces IE10 compatibility....

I'm going to look into IE10 printing issues generally, but I'd welcome any other suggestions on what to check.

Thanks!

lmk

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:36 PM
  • So have you tried the dev toolbar as suggested above, press F12 and set the browser to IE7/8/9 mode?
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Rob,

I have done this, but to mixed results.  The Print Schedule page reloads when the browser mode changes and that reload takes it back to the schedule display page.  When I click the print button again, since it rerenders the page, I'm back in IE10 Compatibility view. 

I have noticed a couple of things in doing some comparisons between my reference IE9 workstation and my IE10 box.  In IE9 the printed view renders as Browser Mode IE9 and Document Mode IE8 Standards.  On IE10, the printed view is Browser Mode IE 10 Compat View and Document Mode IE5 quirks.  Although the grid appears in IE10 and has data in it, the HTML tab on the debugging view shows only the "Loading...." message.   In IE9, I can see the structure of the page in this view.   

If I go to IE10 and open a new tab and navigate to about:blank, that page is by default IE 10 Compat/IE5.5 quirks.   In IE9, about:blank is IE9/quirks only.  I don't know if I'm chasing the wrong rabbit here, but it seems like the absence of a DOCTYPE value on the page is causing IE10 to treat the page content in a different Document Mode than IE10. 

If there's something else I should look at here, please let me know.

Thanks!

lmk

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:10 PM
  • If its a requirement to do this then, I would roll back. IE10 is not fully supported for Project Server 2010, see here;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ff631137(v=office.14).aspx

Hope that helps.

• Proposed as answer by Rob Hardy Friday, April 26, 2013 8:01 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 8:01 AM