none
Dell Precision 690 "multiprocessor configuration not supported"

Question

• My System Specs are:

Dell Precision 690, quad core xeon x5355 2.66 (2 processors), 8 gb fb rams, sytem drive is SATA Hitachi 350gb 3gbs with AHCI enabled, Data Drive Cavier Black 1 TB, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT (512). My problem is that when I tried to install windows 7 or vista 64 bit, or windows 7 x64 sp1, Windows 8 consumer perview, a message on blue screen appears that "multiprocessor_ configuration_ not_ supported". Someone in fourm advised me to buy new processors with same stepping, but this  is an expensive solution.  

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• This question should be addressed to DELL support forum. Specification that I have found does support "legacy" operating systems:

Genuine Windows® XP Pro SP2

Genuine Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition

Windows Vista™ capable

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v.4 (Intel EM64T)

You are not alone, se here for solution:

http://pcmusings.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/installing-win7-x64-on-a-dell-precision-690-read-this/ 

Regards

Milos

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:20 PM
  • This question should be addressed to DELL support forum. Specification that I have found does support "legacy" operating systems:

Genuine Windows® XP Pro SP2

Genuine Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition

Windows Vista™ capable

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v.4 (Intel EM64T)

Thanks Milos for quick response and suggestions but I think think it is not drivers and OS compatibility issue, Dell T7400 supports genuine windows 7 pro but I am facing same problem with that machine. If you read carefully my question, you will find that I asked about multi processor support in windows 7 sp1, x64 or x86 by microsoft.

To work in multiprocessor environment, your processor should be of same type and same level. However, if the processors are not of same configuration, an STOP error message may occur. In such case, you are not able to access the data and your system will not be bootable. To identify the problem of data loss STOP error. To need to use file recovery software. These software can recover and restore your inaccessible data, when no backup is available.

The STOP error message will occur when you upgrade your system by installing a new processor in your system.

"STOP 0x0000003E MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED"

The error message will occur each time, when you try to boot the system. In addition, the data saved in hard drive is inaccessible.

What are the reason?

• The already processor is asymmetric as compared to newly installed processor.
  • The previous processors has not floating point capability as new processors.

Resolution:-

To resolve the problem, you need to uninstall the new processor. However, uninstalling the new processor requires changes in registry setting of your system. Also, uninstalling the processor may corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file. Incorrect changes in registry setting or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file result make your system unbootable. To successfully boot your system, you need to clean operating system reinstall.It will remove all the data from the selected partition. In such circumstance, to recover and restore your lost files, use the third party tool Windows file recovery software. These Recovery Tools ensure comprehensive recovery and restoration of lost data from formatted hard drive partitions. But you see it is not propper resolution.  

• Lodhi

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Could you check if the CPU steppings are the same?

Regards

Milos

Friday, June 8, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Yes sir, these are different, first one is belonging to familiy 6 & stpping B (revision G0) but second : family 6, stepping 7 (revision B3)*

*as reported by CPU-Z

Lodhi

Saturday, June 9, 2012 1:09 PM