TFTP is not working. RRS feed

• Question

• TFTP server not working on laptop.  I can ping both from the laptop to the client, and from the client to the laptop, both succeeding. (it is a direct connect too, I am not going though a network)  I used to be able to upload images with the TFTP server, but not lately.  I have reloaded the server a few times.  Any idea of what could be causing the problem and of any fix?

Thanks,

Ryan

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:26 PM

All replies

• Firewall - check - TCP / UDP 69 is blocked on both end.

Vote As Helpful - if you find helpful :-)

• Proposed as answer by Sundaram Ramanujam Friday, May 4, 2012 2:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rjjaeger Friday, May 4, 2012 5:34 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:46 PM
  • The firewall on the computer is open for port 69 and I don't think you can set a firewall on a switch, because I am directly connected to it.  So, I don't think that is a possible cause.

Friday, May 4, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Firewall - on your Antivirus also! If this is not the case then check the TFTP server settings, user name password.

The above doesn't help then

What type of TFTP server are you using ?

• Proposed as answer by Sundaram Ramanujam Monday, May 7, 2012 6:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rjjaeger Monday, May 7, 2012 1:45 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Well, I can't personally check the antivius at my work.  That is controlled by a security team, which they said that TFTP works for everyone else.  Also, it works on my desktop, and exactly the same program and settings are on my laptop and my desktop. 

I am using tftpd32.  I also tried Solarwind's TFTP program too (after I deleted the tftpd32) which did not work also.

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Install nmap and check the target system is allowing the TCP / UDP traffice on 69.

Nmap - http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-5.51-setup.exe

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Could you give me a runthrough of how to use this tool?  Never used it before.
    Monday, May 7, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Well... I guess that program was banned by our security team (I was just advised by my coworker).  So, I won't be able to get results for that.
    Monday, May 7, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Can you try 3Cdaemon  tool for TFTP. I think it is suitable for your requirement

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Well sounds like you got lot of things controlled by your security team, then why don't you ask them to check this issue ? (If you think you setup the program setting are correct).

Most of the company security teams deploy security policies now and then as and when required.  So you can go with them to figure out the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Sundaram Ramanujam Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rjjaeger Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Its not a security problem.  I'm not going though the network and it works fine on my desktop which has the same exact security settings as my laptop.  Its something up with the laptop.  Could there be a driver issue or something along those lines?  And the other thing is that Im the ONLY one that has this problem.  Therefore if it is a security issue, then why isn't the other computers effected by it?
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:40 PM