none
DPM 2010 and Small Busioness Server 2003 issues RRS feed

• Question

• What is the correct procedure to create connectivity between DPM 2010 and SBS 2003 R2? I have read that you need to install the System Recovery Tool from DPM 2007. Also read that hotfix KB 940349 is needed. Have read a few horror stories of major issues once the agent is installed on the SBS 2003 box. I currently have DPM 2010 installed and working with servers and clients in our network. Been holding out on setting up SBS 2003. And of course getting SBS 2003 safely backed up was the major reason for using DPM 2010. So can any one provide a definative answer to this?

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• HI,

You don't need SRT for DPM 2007 to backup SBS 2003. The DPM 2010 server either needs to be in the same domain as the SBS 2003 server or there needs to be a two way trust between the SBS domain and the DPM server's domain. Otherwise you could protect the SBS server as a workgroup/untrusted domain server, but have limited functionality.

As to hotfix 940349, you probably want the latest VSS update installed on the SBS 2003 server which I believe is KB951568 - 951568 VSS-based backup operations may fail if VSS tracing is enabled on a Windows Server 2003-based computer that has hotfix 940349 applied
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;951568

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, August 26, 2011 12:26 PM
  • I performed the install and it completed, but I do not see the DPMCleint.exe file in the bin folder. Some other files appear to be missing as well. So I am unable to run the client. It said it installed successfully. I have our firewall and antivirus disabled. I also tried the install manually and it also installed successfully. Also ran the setdmpserver command with an elevated command prompt. Of course the SBS box is in the domain. I have installed the client on machines both inside the domain and outside and they are working. Any ideas?

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

You won't have a DPMclient.exe on a server. The DPM Client GUI is for client operating systems - Windows 7, Vista and XP.

When you create the protection group on the DPM server you need to choose the option for Servers as opposed to Clients.

Thanks,

Marc

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, September 9, 2011 1:26 PM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 1:25 PM