DFS replication error 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

when I create new gpo on a specifec DC it is created on sysvol folder on this DC only and didn't replicated to other DCs.
    and the same thing when I add new setting on an existance GPO.
    and this cause gpo mismatch on all DCs and new policy didn't apply to all users.

I discover error 2004 in event viewer:
    The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C:. This failure can occur because the disk is full, the disk is failing, or a quota limit has been reached. This can also occur if the DFS Replication service encountered errors while attempting to stage files for a replicated folder on this volume. 

Additional Information: 
    Error: 5 (Access is denied.) 
    Volume: 58F1B1A3-B577-11E2-9113-0021F6000010

Mohamed Salama

Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

Assume the gpo is configured with correct operation, there is something wrong with replication based on my knowledge.

Please check if disk is full, the disk is failing, or a quota limit has been reached these possibilities are the cuase.

After excluding these, please navigate to event viewer->application and services logs, and share with us DFSR related event logs.

Also for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/24f35391-52c5-4e12-8bb9-b3d9855f09ce/dfsr-event-id-2104-and-2004?forum=winservergen

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/24707663/DFSR-Failure-after-BESR-restore-Event-ID-2104-2004.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lavilian Li Friday, March 29, 2019 7:42 AM
    • Edited by Lavilian Li Friday, March 29, 2019 8:11 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided above was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:14 AM
  • Hi Lavilian,

first, thanks for your respond.

I found the disk is work correctly without any limitation.

in DFSR event log I found these errors:

error 2104

The DFS Replication service failed to recover from an internal database error on volume C:. Replication has been stopped for all replicated folders on this volume. 

Additional Information: 
    Error: 9218 (Failed to handle dirty file (0)) 
    Database: C:\System Volume Information\DFSR

error 2004

The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C:. This failure can occur because the disk is full, the disk is failing, or a quota limit has been reached. This can also occur if the DFS Replication service encountered errors while attempting to stage files for a replicated folder on this volume. 

Additional Information: 
    Error: 5 (Access is denied.) 

I also discover that "C:\System Volume Information\DFSR\Private" path is empty on one DC

BR

Mohamed

Mohamed Salama

Monday, April 1, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

In terms of dfsr error 2014, please try the workaround here in the following official article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979295/the-event-id-2104-is-logged-in-the-dfs-replication-log-on-a-downstream

As for 2004 error, a d2/d4 is recommended to perform.

Please refer to:

How to force an authoritative and non-authoritative synchronization for DFSR-replicated SYSVOL (like "D4/D2" for FRS)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2218556