Filetypes being reset to Edge on user logon? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I've got an MDT build that strips out win10 by essentially removing all but a couple of whitelisted packages, removes onedrive (boy that was fun to code) and installs office 2013 & winupdates etc.

But now I see during deployment and when a user logs on, messages about an app messing up a filetype and having it reset to Edge.  See below

When a user logs in it says the same about PDF (adobe reader DC is installed during deployment) and when you run Reader it takes you back through setting the filetype association to itself again.

Anyone know why it's doing this when the previous build done mostly the same was wasn't doing this?

• Edited by Leozack Tuesday, October 22, 2019 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi

Firstly, the problem is not only a simple APP problem, but because there are too many apps uninstalled, there is no corresponding file type corresponding. You can refer to the following link for more assistance:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Besides, I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run the DISM tool.

1. On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow).
    2. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.

Method 2: Run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter.

1. Type “Troubleshooting” in the search box and press Enter.
    2. Click on ‘View All’ on the top left pane.
    3. Click on “Windows Store Apps” from the list and follow the on-screen prompts for troubleshooting.

Method 3: Perform a Clean Boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

* Place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any third party programs.

Follow the link to view the steps to perform Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Lastly, the following links may be helpful:

An App Default Was Reset

[FIX] An App Default Was Reset In Windows 10

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Default File Associations in Windows 10

Hope can help you!

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Kiki

I've seen your reply on many threads I've searched about these issues so it's fairly generic.

I've looked at those linked pages previously so I've seen that they say "this no longer works!" to any suggestions they give.

One of the last things the new build does before being captured is run
    DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    and then the image is captured.

We've not had this problem on a previous build which used the same script (removes ALL appx packages except those whitelisted which are photos/calc/stickynotes - this includes removing the store which I know is a rather premanent thing to do) so I don't see why that would be an issue.

I'm 99% sure while testing I've run from the previous build and still had these alerts, but I'm continuing testing.  At one point while deploying either the old or new build I saw the alerts popup while the TS was still running - at the point where it had just rebooted after the PostInstall section and as the StateRestore section was starting (gather local only, post-apply cleanup etc).  Other times it seems ok until it's finished and I log on as a different user who then gets the 4 or 5 alerts spam them and queue up in the action center.

All the association stuff seems to relate to Edge.  I'm considering adding it to the whitelist but so far I have never needed to because such core components like that are always left on despite the blanket removal of everything not on the whitelist

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi

Keep us updated with your progress.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 5:43 AM
  • There is no progress so far.  Adding Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge to the whitelist of appx's not attempted to be removed during deployment hasn't stopped this association problem.  It also happens on builds from july that didn't have this problem before.  I also apply a set of default associations (using the dism export/import commands) during deployment and that doesn't help either.  So something is definitely amiss.  As I said above, the dism command is already run last-thing before the image is taken.
    • Edited by Leozack Thursday, September 26, 2019 11:04 AM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

Please feedback this situation to Microsoft via Feedback Hub app, I am also going to submit this case.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Friday, September 27, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hi - I'm not familiar with the feedback hub - is this within Win10 on the effected systems?

I'm currently doing lots of rebuilds with changes to the task sequences to see if I can find what causes these Edge association issues

Friday, September 27, 2019 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the following picture:

Hope can help you.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Oh okay - if that's not an essential app then it's probably stripped out from our build which would explain why I haven't seen it.  I've tentatively managed to make a build without the issue, and am still testing moving back towards the main build to try and see at what point the alerts are introduced.
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:19 AM
  • For the record, it seems if I don't run our win10 cleanup script, I don't get the edge alerts (a tentative conclusion from my current testing).  The script basically says

Build array from :
    Get-AppxPackage -PackageTypeFilter Bundle
    For each one, if it is not in this whitelist :
    "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge", "Microsoft.WindowsCalculator", "Microsoft.Windows.Photos", "Microsoft.ScreenSketch", "Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes"
    Then try to remove it with :
    Remove-AppxPackage -Package $AppPackageFullName -AllUsers

The output from running that script is below - there is no mention of Edge, and nothing being removed is something we want - and this was the same script used before when we never got the alerts?

Removing : Microsoft.BingWeather
    Removing : Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller
    Removing : Microsoft.Messaging
    Removing : Microsoft.GetHelp
    Removing : Microsoft.Getstarted
    Removing : Microsoft.Messaging
    Removing : Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer
    Removing : Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub
    Removing : Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection
    Skipping essential Windows app: Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes
    Removing : Microsoft.MixedReality.Portal
    Removing : Microsoft.MSPaint
    Removing : Microsoft.Office.OneNote
    Removing : Microsoft.OneConnect
    Removing : Microsoft.People
    Removing : Microsoft.Print3D
    Skipping essential Windows app: ScreenSketch
    Removing : Microsoft.SkypeApp
    Removing : Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp
    Removing : Microsoft.Wallet
    Removing : Microsoft.WebMediaExtensions
    Skipping essential Windows app: Microsoft.Windows.Photos
    Removing : Microsoft.WindowsAlarms
    Skipping essential Windows app: Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
    Removing : Microsoft.WindowsCamera
    Removing : microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps
    Removing : Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub
    Removing : Microsoft.WindowsMaps
    Removing : Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder
    Removing : Microsoft.WindowsStore
    Removing : Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI
    Removing : Microsoft.XboxApp
    Removing : Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay
    Removing : Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay
    Removing : Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider
    Removing : Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay
    Removing : Microsoft.YourPhone
    Removing : Microsoft.ZuneMusic
    Removing : Microsoft.ZuneVideo

I've done a deploy TS using a build that included that script in its TS and when the deploy TS reboots as shown below, the next login to continue the TS gets the appdefault alerts come in.  When I ran the same deploy TS using an identical build that hadn't run the above script, I didn't get the alerts

• Edited by Leozack Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:02 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

Let's look forward some ideas from forum users.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki Shi

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Same Problem here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8492c521-55e3-4cef-8d8e-2613b9f43051/kb4517211-edge-app-reset-notification-for-new-users-in-win-10-1903?forum=win10itprogeneral

If we use the original Win 1903 Iso from the VLSC (not the september updated version) and the imaging is working fine. 

We use a unattended Installation for creating our "base image". We also remove some apps like xbox, movie, solitare and so on.  But we dont remove Edge, Store or something like this.

After the imaging there is no "edge app association reset notification". Everything is working fine. If we install the newest Win 1903 cumulative update on the imaged device, we get these reset notifications if new users log on.

if i uninstall the update, everything is working fine again.

I tried several things - created a app assoc xml file with dism command and imported this xml file in the base image and in the wmi file. i reseted the app associations to default and reinstalled the edge. This did not solved the problem. It looks like something is broken.

I did a test without removing the apps - i got the same problem. Maybe sysprep is the problem??
    • Edited by skt-tec Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:28 AM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:23 AM
  • On the imaged device the problem occur, if i install the update https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/4512941

The Updates befor can be installed without any problems. 

MS changed something in this update and this creates the edge app associations notifications.

I see in the eventlog Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Core/AppDefaults a lot of information that a hashcode has changed and some apps are reset to default.

That is really annoying, we will stay with the update KB4512508.

• Proposed as answer by Anewton Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Interesting. I had a feeling it may be related to an update since July. The security update for IE11 is definitely important to get as there is an actively exploited vulnerability that it patches. I noticed something about Edge removing epub support - maybe that somehow relates to the file association messages?

I'm currently trying to make lots of builds 1 after the other, with different apps from the above list being removed, since it appeared I didn't get the errors even with the first half of the apps removed but the second half left on.  If I manage to nail it down I will post about it.  I tried leaving just the XBOX related ones on but sadly that didn't stop the alerts coming.

Also I don't think I get the alerts when testing on a VM, which makes testing a long delay as I run a VM TS to build & capture then run a physical TS to deploy and test
    • Edited by Leozack Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Yup its known this particular update resets the file associations to default.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:58 PM
  • Hi leozack,

That is really strange. I test only with a VM and I can replicate the problem every time.

Here are the things that I have tested:

• Unattended installation with 1903 iso from may. Some apps are removed (xbox, music,feedback hub, ....) After the unattended installation I run sysprep and create a wim image.  After image restore I installed the newest win 10 1903 update from September. After the restart I logged in with a new user and I get the reset notifications from edge. Existing users don't get the notifications.
    • Unattended installation with 1903 iso from may. None apps are removed. After the unattended installation I run sysprep and create a wim image.  After image restore I installed the newest win 10 1903 update from September. After the restart I logged in with a new user and I get thereset notifications from edge. Existing users don't get the notifications.
    • Normal installation with 1903 iso from may. After installation I installed the September update and after restart I logged in with a new user. No reset notification from edge
    • Uninstall of the problematic update solve the reset notification from edge for new users.
    • Dism export and import commands for the app association did not solve the problem. I imported the XML online and in the wim.

I can show you the apps that we have removed tomorrow.I think sysprep is maybe the problem...

@Anewton: what do you mean with " it's known that this particular update resets the file association"? I don't find any information, that this problem is a known bug.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:03 PM
  • I’m seeing this exact same behavior. Seems the dism export adds a couple of entries to the bottom of the xml file but we still get this issue even if we don’t remove any apps at all. Also, doesn’t seem to do it in my VM only on an actual PC.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:00 AM
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed to have a clean VM test only to find a physical gets the problem.
    I'm also glad I'm not the only one with this problem because I was so annoyed at someone else ruining my previous build in July by using the normal 1903 ISO not the 'international' one (we need en-gb not en-us) since that resulted in having to hack in a language pack which still doesn't stop new users getting warnings about the repeated failiure for win10 to install the en-gb speech etc. So to clean it up I redid the build with the correct ISO and proudly presented it at which point the equally annoying file association/edge reset alerts popped up.  Not gonna lie, I'm kinda mad about it and equally disappointed.

Reading the tests skt-tec made, it seems the only time they didn't get the alerts is when the used a normal install and not unattended/TS - so surely it isn't related to sysprep?  So we've nailed it down to 1 specific update?

People have blamed 1 of the August updates (kb4512941 or kb4512508) but are we now saying it's definitely one of the sep updates (kb4517211 or kb4522016)?

And are we also sure it happens whether you remove everything or if you don't remove anything at all?  Because I'm 99.9% sure I've run builds without removing things and I don't get the alerts.

On a "why?" level, I also don't udnerstand why a patch that resets the associations (part of a security patch - makes sense if they're stopping previous hijacks) would affect new users - since they are the only people you WOULDN'T need to reset associations for?

Also sidenote : I'm not sure if there is a better place to discuss/get support with MDT type issues?  It would be good if there was a discord or super active forum, though I'm very glad people use these forums!
    • Edited by Leozack Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:19 AM
  • I'm doing some tests with my VM at the moment. I will update this thread if i finished them.

I'm getting these reset notifications after installing KB4512941. All Updates released after KB4512941 also include these "bug". 

I installed KB4512941 - reset notification occur for new users. I uninstalled this update, no reset notification occur.

I installed KB4517211 - reset notification occur for new users. I uninstalled this update, no reset notification occur.

I installed KB4517389 - reset notification occur for new users. I uninstalled this update, no reset notification occur.

We removed the following Apps from 1903 (we are using ENGL Imaging Toolkti for creating the image and use ZenWorks for deploying it)

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:28 AM
  • Yup its known this particular update resets the file associations to default.
    Could you elaborate or provide links?
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:03 AM
  • So here are the first test results.

I'm using the newest Win 1903 VLSC Iso.

SW_DVD9_Win_Pro_10_1903.1_64BIT_German_Pro_Ent_EDU_N_MLF_X22-14069.ISO

This iso includes the updates until september 2019.

I created our unattend base image with all MS Apps included - i did not removed anything.

I run sysprep, created our wim image and i deployed this image to a VM and a physical pc.

On both Systems are the edge reset notificiations. 

So i would say - it has nothing to do with removing the apps.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:45 AM
  • Second test finished and it looks like MS screwed up something (or my tests are wrong...)

I used my iso to manually install Win 10 1903 in a VM. No unattend install, no sysprep.

During the installation the VM was not connected to the internet. Installation finished and i created a second local user. Logging in with this user did not creat edge app associations notifications.

I joined this pc to the domain (the pc was created in the "Computer" OU where no GPOs linked to). I restarted the PC and logged in with an AD User. I get the edge reset notification. 

I created a second local user and after logging in with this new local user i also get the edge reset notification.

I dont know what to do...maybe we are accepting this notifications on the first login and i hope this notifications are only displayed on the first login.

I dont know what MS thinking about Win 10 - but it looks like that Win10 gets more and more buggy... :(

Its a nightmare for Admins to deploy and administrate this OS!

EDIT: Last Test - i did the same as bevor - installed manually 1903, created local user and i dont get any reset notifications. I joined the pc to the domain, restarted. Logging in as local admin, create a new user and logging in with this new user - i get the reset notification....... The only thing i did, was a domain join.

• Edited by skt-tec Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:36 AM
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed to have a clean VM test only to find a physical gets the problem.
    I'm also glad I'm not the only one with this problem because I was so annoyed at someone else ruining my previous build in July by using the normal 1903 ISO not the 'international' one (we need en-gb not en-us) since that resulted in having to hack in a language pack which still doesn't stop new users getting warnings about the repeated failiure for win10 to install the en-gb speech etc. So to clean it up I redid the build with the correct ISO and proudly presented it at which point the equally annoying file association/edge reset alerts popped up.  Not gonna lie, I'm kinda mad about it and equally disappointed.

Reading the tests skt-tec made, it seems the only time they didn't get the alerts is when the used a normal install and not unattended/TS - so surely it isn't related to sysprep?  So we've nailed it down to 1 specific update?

People have blamed 1 of the August updates (kb4512941 or kb4512508) but are we now saying it's definitely one of the sep updates (kb4517211 or kb4522016)?

And are we also sure it happens whether you remove everything or if you don't remove anything at all?  Because I'm 99.9% sure I've run builds without removing things and I don't get the alerts.

On a "why?" level, I also don't udnerstand why a patch that resets the associations (part of a security patch - makes sense if they're stopping previous hijacks) would affect new users - since they are the only people you WOULDN'T need to reset associations for?

Also sidenote : I'm not sure if there is a better place to discuss/get support with MDT type issues?  It would be good if there was a discord or super active forum, though I'm very glad people use these forums!

So in my last test, on my reference vm (I’m using mdt), I can create a local user and login and no reset notifications. As soon as I sysprep the vm or capture it, I login create a new local user and boom reset notifications. So seems to be something with sysprep. We’re still happily on 1809 so I’ll keep an eye on this thread for updates and I’ll post anymore findings.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:38 AM
  • https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-keeps-resetting-default-apps-after/3d822672-c138-4bec-9c1e-1f717b290977

This is a totally different issue a year ago whereby apps are persistently reset to defaults. There are also issues from last year when MS changed how app defaults are set and forced everyone to use the manual user interface method or it will trigger these auto-reset-to-default alerts.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:59 PM
  • It does seem from what people have posted that it doesn't relate to removing apps.

I am using HypverV for my VMs and currently I've installed our build from July (before these issues, but based on the en-us ISO whereas we need en-gb) and I am letting it be domain joined but sitting on computers OU so not getting updates & GPOs etc.

I set a restore point and manually installed kb4512941 and rebooted - logged in as a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

I restored the VM to the checkpoint and installed kb4512508 and rebooted - logged in a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

I restored the VM to the checkpoint and installed kb4517211 and rebooted - logged in a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

I restored the VM to the checkpoint and installed kb4522016 and rebooted - logged in a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

None of this testing is very thorough for me because I'm 99% sure I've not got the alerts whilst using a VM, but doing this on a physical is taking a lot of reinstalls which takes a lot of time.  I could try adding the updates 1 by 1 in that order to see if I can find when I get alerts I suppose?

It seems we have tried various combinations between us on both VM & PC and got mixed results - can anyone work out the precise options we've covered?
    Did we get alerts for :
    VM or PC?  Domain joined or standalone?  May ISO or updated ISO?  Sysprep'd or not?  Which updates?
    Currently since my VM is refusing to do the alerts, I'm fair sure all my testing is useless unless I go back to testing on a laptop where I can only do 1 or 2 builds a day.  Meanwhile I'm supposed to be working on rolling stuff out so I'm wasting time trying to sort this or at least nail down what causes it for reference - mainly because it is annoying me!

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 2:35 PM
  • are you going direct to 19.03 from scratch as it reads like there a pre-existing windows you updated?

18.09 had the application reset bug and this is well documented on here.

• Edited by Anewton Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:38 PM
  • are you going direct to 19.03 from scratch as it reads like there a pre-existing windows you updated?

18.09 had the application reset bug and this is well documented on here.

To clarify, I am using 1903 building from scratch, and the issue seems to relate to something over the summer from what we've established.

The bug you desribe and in the link you provided are a different problem where by the apps constantly reset their associated program to default MS options after you change them.

This thread is a problem whereby only on a first login for a new user, you get some app reset alerts.

• Edited by Leozack Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:47 PM
  • It does seem from what people have posted that it doesn't relate to removing apps.

I am using HypverV for my VMs and currently I've installed our build from July (before these issues, but based on the en-us ISO whereas we need en-gb) and I am letting it be domain joined but sitting on computers OU so not getting updates & GPOs etc.

I set a restore point and manually installed kb4512941 and rebooted - logged in as a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

I restored the VM to the checkpoint and installed kb4512508 and rebooted - logged in a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

I restored the VM to the checkpoint and installed kb4517211 and rebooted - logged in a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

I restored the VM to the checkpoint and installed kb4522016 and rebooted - logged in a different domain user and didn't get any alerts.

None of this testing is very thorough for me because I'm 99% sure I've not got the alerts whilst using a VM, but doing this on a physical is taking a lot of reinstalls which takes a lot of time.  I could try adding the updates 1 by 1 in that order to see if I can find when I get alerts I suppose?

It seems we have tried various combinations between us on both VM & PC and got mixed results - can anyone work out the precise options we've covered?
    Did we get alerts for :
    VM or PC?  Domain joined or standalone?  May ISO or updated ISO?  Sysprep'd or not?  Which updates?
    Currently since my VM is refusing to do the alerts, I'm fair sure all my testing is useless unless I go back to testing on a laptop where I can only do 1 or 2 builds a day.  Meanwhile I'm supposed to be working on rolling stuff out so I'm wasting time trying to sort this or at least nail down what causes it for reference - mainly because it is annoying me!

We are using VMware and i have the same problems on VM and on a PC. If you use the same Image for both devices and the imaging process is the same its very strange that you have two different results. Do you use en-us iso for VM and en-gb for the PCs?

Yes, you can install 1 update by 1. i did this with our 1903 iso from may. I installed first update kb4507453 and after reboot i logged in with a new user. Then i installed 4505903 and did the same with kb4512508. No problems with these updates.

After installing kb4512941 i got these notificiations. I uninstalled kb4512941 and no notifications appear.

I will do two more tests today. If i found no solution for the problem we will update to 1809 and wait for 1909. I'm testing since one week i'm really frustrated.

• Edited by skt-tec Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:32 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:10 AM
  • So I built a physical laptop again from our July build which was based on the en-us ISO. I made a new user and didn't get the alerts. I wanted to install the Aug then Sep updates and see when I got alerts but even though it was left in computers OU it managed to get into WSUS and update itself.

The updates (ignoring 100 office updates) for windows listed were :
    KB4497727 from April (part of the ISO or included in our July build) - so not part of the issue
    KB4514359 Sep 10th dotnet update
    KB4517389 Oct 8th security cumulative
    KB4521863 Oct 8th servicing stack update

After a reboot a new user then got the alerts.  I am now deploying the july build to the same laptop and this time I will try and manually install the updates 1 at a time to see if rebooting to a new user gets the alerts.  I will try to do the following updates in order :

KB4512508 Aug 13th security update
    KB4512941 Aug 30th non-security update
    KB4522016 Sep 23rd security update
    KB4517211 Sep 26th non-security update
    KB4517389 Oct 8th update (Inc: "Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge")
    KB4521863 Oct 8th servicing stack update

If I get time I may create a build with the correct "international" ISO (for en-gb) and try the updates on that - perhaps leaving everything vanilla to start

Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:10 AM
  • i'm done with win 1903.

I have create a new base image and i set the CopyProfile Sysprep value to false.

During the imaging i dont see the notification and after the imaging i can login with a domain user and i see the notification again... the i logged in with the local administrator. run dism /online /export-defaultappassociations:c:\temp\export.xml

Then i imported this xml file with the dism command.

Restarted the Pc. I logged in with a second domain user - i dont get the notifications. i logged in with a third domain user - i got the notifications.

I think this is a endless testing and i will use now win 1809 and i hope MS will fix this. I'm wondering why no other users have this problem.

Lets hope this bug is not in 1809 too...

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:06 AM
  • So in my testing, I had my july build without the notifications

I installed KB4512508 Aug 13th security update

No notifications

I installed KB4512941 Aug 30th non-security update

Got the notifications

So at least I know where it comes from and other than testing it on a vanilla 1903, I know it is nothing to do with anything we do and just a sacrifice we'll have to take which shouldn't be an issue in our environment where physical machines are generally only used by 1 person.

Obviously the later cumulatives (eg october) replace the august one, so installing those will produce the same behaviour due to whatever it is MS has that causes it.  If I try a vanilla one I will use the feeback hub to report the problem

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:52 AM
  • just for your information.

i created a image for 1809 - newest win 1809 update and imaging works fine without any reset notification.

I hope MS will fix this bug in 1903 soon.

I'm not sure if we use the 1903 with this bug because i dont know which other problem can occur...

EDIT: One interesting thing - in 1809 and 1803 i can see in the eventlog Microsoft -> Windows -> SHell-Core -> AppDefaults the same reset notifications like in 1903.

So it looks like that these "notifications" in the "old" windows versions are generated but not displayed (Shell-Core Information 62443 and 62440) and in 1903 after update KB4512941 they are displayed...thats my opinion .

• Edited by skt-tec Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:11 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:05 PM
  • You downloaded the latest 1903 ISO from MSDN that included the October cumulatives?  And installed it captured it deployed it domain joined it and then you got no alerts for new users?  That seems strange (though it would be great if it was solved that way)
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:03 PM
  • No, we use the iso from the VLSC (Volume Licensing Service Center)

This iso includes the September cumulatives. After capturing the image and deploying i got reset notifications and then i export and import the default app associations (with dism). For 3 users it works fine the fourth one get again the reset notifications.

I'm done with testing and i use 1903 and i hope this bug will be fixed and does not create more problems then display the notifications on the first login.

As i mentioned in my last post - the informations for "application resets" are also logged in the evenlog in win 1803 and 1809 - but here no notification is send to the action center.

Friday, October 11, 2019 10:20 AM
  • Thanks for the update. It's strange that we can see the alerts are caused after the KB4512941 update (and subsequent sep/oct cumulatives presumably) and yet you didn't get them for some users.  When testing the dism import of file associations during the TS I didn't find they made any difference.

I'm currently building a vanilla 1903 from our 'international' ISO and I will do the same test of a new user, then install KB4512941 and try another new user.  Just to absolutely confirm the rest of our build (installed apps, removed apps etc) makes no difference.  I will then continue our builds as they are and hope this is fixed in a future update.  The fact we don't have lots of new people going on the same PC means it's not a big deal.

I did talk to our Infrastructure guys and they said they'd had a lot of issues recently with users on the terminal services farms having app associations reset or something, so that may be related.

Friday, October 11, 2019 12:15 PM
  • Just a heads up it’s not fixed in 1909 either. I pulled the esds that were made available recently and the issue is still there. I know it’s probably not a final build but the bug is still there.
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 4:42 AM
  • Well that's ... reassuring :D Unfortunately whilst I did do my vanilla then update after update last week I've not noted down the finds - but I recall I wasn't getting alerts until I was about halfway through those few updates. I guess what's important is nothing we do causes the alerts for new users - it is one of the updates between jule and now or some combination of them. So alerts for new users are going to be a thing until they fix it unless you want to be on 1809 which will run out of support in May (unless you're lucky enough to have enterprise)
    Monday, October 14, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Ok so an unexpected update ...
    I took the base 1903 and had 2 TS, 1 where I tweaked the default user a little and added the startmenu & taskbar xml in.
    I then deployed them side by side and installed the following updates in order
    KB4512508 Aug 13th security update
    KB4512941 Aug 30th non-security update
    KB4522016 Sep 23rd security update
    KB4517211 Sep 26th non-security update
    KB4517389 Oct 8th update (Inc: "Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge")
    KB4521863 Oct 8th servicing stack update

After each one I restarted and logged in as a new user.
    At no point did all the alerts come up - instead, after installing the august updates, I got just 1 alert (after a couple of minutes logge don) about mailto association being reset for new users after that - on both laptops.

So now I'm thoroughly confused about what causes the alerts as I'm sure we already established a base 1903 with the august updates causes them - yet here I have 2 Dell 7400 laptops that don't seem to be doing it.

So yeah ... now I'm confused and no idea where to go next other than just continue our build with the alerts and hope MS fixes whatever causes it at some point down the road?  What have I missed ... I seem to have out-tested every possibility so something isn't right.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Ok so if I run a new 1903 build and let it grab the october updates, I get the alerts. If I run my selective TS and do the same, I only get a mailto reset alert after a few minutes of a new user.
    I found the only difference between the builds was the win10cleanup script I use. The one getting alerts removes everything bar my whitelist - the current selective one has these left in :
    "Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps"
    "Microsoft.WindowsStore"
    "Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI"
    "Microsoft.XboxApp"
    "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay"
    "Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay"
    "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider"
    "Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay"
    "Microsoft.YourPhone"
    "Microsoft.ZuneMusic"
    "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"
    So I'm now making a build with the xbox ones ripped out to see if I get the alerts.  It would be good to know what causes the alerts (including the mailto one really) because it seems if I leave them in the build TS and take them out post-deploy I don't get the alerts?  Not tried removing them during deploy TS, I wanted the imaged build itself to have things ripped out if possible to save on image size (not sure it actually helps) and deploy time (it's only about 10-20s for the cleanup script so not a biggy)
    Ftr the ones I AM removing (and only getting the delayed mailto alert) are
    "Microsoft.BingWeather"
    "Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller"
    "Microsoft.GetHelp"
    "Microsoft.Getstarted"
    "Microsoft.Messaging"
    "Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer"
    "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub"
    "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection"
    "Microsoft.MixedReality.Portal"
    "Microsoft.MSPaint"
    "Microsoft.Office.OneNote"
    "Microsoft.OneConnect"
    "Microsoft.People"
    "Microsoft.Print3D"
    "Microsoft.SkypeApp"
    "Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp"
    "Microsoft.Wallet"
    "Microsoft.WebMediaExtensions"
    "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms"
    "Microsoft.WindowsCamera"
    "Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub"
    "Microsoft.WindowsMaps"
    "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder"
    • Edited by Leozack Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:40 AM
  • So with these one stripped out the alerts were back! I guess I'll try keeping them in until I find which one it is.  Or maybe I'll try removing them in deploy TS and seeing if alerts are back

"Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI"
    "Microsoft.XboxApp"
    "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay"
    "Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay"
    "Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider"
    "Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay"

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 10:51 AM
  • Hi Leozack,

thanks for testing but i had the reset notification with a normal install with the MS Iso.

I dont modified anything and i got these app reset notifications. So i can't belive that it has to do with remove apps.

We got this app reset notification after joining the manuall installed pc to the domain.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:11 PM
  • I can confirm this as well.
    It happens regardless of any apps being removed.
    For me it happens even if the machine is not domain joined but only after a sysprep.

In a VM i nailed it down to being VLC - but that all went out the window as soon a i deployed the image to a Dell Optiplex 7060 - so who knows!
    • Edited by nandyol Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:33 PM
  • Correct - I found I was getting the alerts so went back to my selective one with less ripped out and still got the alerts. So I'm being toyed with and I'm not appreciating it :D   What confuses me is the alerts usually appear after the first reboot of deployment and before it has installed my applications or whatever else. Yet I know for a fact I can deploy systems and end up finished with no alerts, AD object moved otu of computers OU into proper OU and gupdated/rebooted etc and still no alerts. So it must be possible.
    But in general it does feels like something they've done either in 1903 base or an update since and possibly only triggered after a sysprep.  But it can't be a simple cause otherwise we'd all have nailed it down by now.  Currently I'm having to deploy as normal but this stuff keeps me awake at night  >:(
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:34 PM
  • I can now confirm that with my 1903 image based on the latest October updates, that I get no alerts deploying to HP G4 laptops or Dell Latitude 7490's, but DO get them deploying the same image the same way to Dell Latitude 7400 and 7480's. The image includes my script ripping out all the possible apps except a small whitelist or calculator/photos/screensketch.

At this point I've given up trying to get rid of them due to the varying/intermittent results I was getting, though now I realise that might have been due to testing on different hardware.  But I don't have time to try making lots of images and deploying to a 7400/7480 until I don't get alerts - only to say that I'm fairly sure a vanilla image doesn't get them (I may look at that if I get time).

Disappointed by this rolling on for so many months with so many people effected and no fixes in the MS patches (and still no 1909/equivilent update)

Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:41 AM
  • Hey Leozack,

Just thought I'd update you on my findings with this.

I bit the bullet and tested out my same process with a 20H1 insider build (19035.1) and i am no longer getting the app resets.

I am hoping that Microsoft have fixed the issue in 20H builds and will back port the fix to 1903/1909.

Cheers,

Nandyol

Monday, December 16, 2019 5:04 AM
  • Also I don't think I get the alerts when testing on a VM, which makes testing a long delay as I run a VM TS to build & capture then run a physical TS to deploy and test

So I started having this issue around the same time and decided to put it off until now.  Stinks to see it's still happening, but one note about testing.  I was experiencing the exact same thing, vms don't do it but laptops do.  Found this in another thread today, up your cpu count to 8 and bam a machine that I had just logged into and didn't get the issue got the reset alerts.

Unfortunately can't link the thread directly because of this account.  

h ttps://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ad37cd15-315e-4f9b-ba34-bcbd987981fc/quotan-app-default-was-resetquot-error-newly-sysprep-windows-10-ltsc-2019-enterprise-image?forum=win10itprosetup

Friday, February 7, 2020 4:29 PM