none
Configuration of Auto Configuration Script on Per Machine basis RRS feed

• Question

• For security reasons we are required to use the "Make Proxy Settings Per Machine" set to Enabled. This is done to prevent users from configuring proxy configurations we didn't authorize. We want to move to a PAC file because the configuration will be much simpler, but I don't see how to configure the proxy configuration script under the computer settings.We have been trying to configure it under user preferences as an alternative, though we are concerned that doing it this way may also be subject to user or malicious logic tampering.  We are using IE8 on Windows 7 SP1. Our domain controllers are Server 2008 R2 running IE 10 (no Internet Explorer Maintenance options are available).

Does the "Make Proxy Settings Per Machine" setting affect the  "Use automatic Configuration Script" setting? What is the recommended secure way to implement a PAC file to an enterprise. In our case we may want to have more than one PAC file based on group membership, so we would prefer not to use DHCP to configure the proxy configuration script.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe you can configure the GPP through RSAT as a workaround:

Configure the GPP through RSAT:

- Configure the pac file

- Check the parameter "Automatic Detect Settings"

- Click on Apply Button

- Unchecked the parameter "Automatic Detect Settings"

Click on apply button, then ok.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=7887

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Need to do that on 400 systems... It looks to me like Internet Explorer Maintenance will actually configure proxy per machine if that box is checked, but preferences will only apply to the user policy. I am pretty sure that is just the way it is and there is nothing to be done about it...
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

For this situation, I suggest you post a new thread in Group Policy forum for further help, they would help you to figure out a workaround:

Group Policy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Oldguard Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:35 AM
  • A further note on this issue. One of the problems I was having was that when I tried to over right Internet Explorer Maintenance with Preferences, it would work fine at logon, or if I did a GPUPDATE, but during background refresh Preferences settings would be over written by Internet Explorer Maintenance settings even though preferences were suppose to be higher precedence. If you are going to do a test, you need to deny applying the policy with Internet Explorer Maintenance settings... 
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:25 PM