Outlook 2013 hangs when waiting on Azure AD MFA Prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are having a small issue.  When staff are working from home, we require MFA for office 365 via Conditional access policies.  These appear to be working fine, however we have noticed that when Outlook 2013 starts, the SAML logon box appears, and prompts them for the SMS code.  This window then hangs, causing outlook to hang.  You can't type the code into the box and you can't continue.

It seems to be related to addins, but we can't be sure.

I am reluctant to remove MFA and we can't upgrade these staff to Office 2016 yet.

Any ideas?

Steven Wells

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

>> however we have noticed that when Outlook 2013 starts.

Does this problem happen to all Outlook 2013 clients? or only one specific client? How about other version of Outlook client like Outlook 2016\2019?

>> It seems to be related to addins, but we can't be sure.

To check whether this issue is related to addins, you can start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

If it works fine in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of your add-ins. You'll need to disable all add-ins after restarting Outlook in normal mode, and then enable them one by one to figure out the problematic one. 

In addition, I found this article may be useful to you: Using Multi Factor Auth in Outlook 2013.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 10, 2020 8:47 AM