BSOD - STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X00000001, 0X91176748, 0X00000000) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running an ASUS F3SV Notebook with Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, 2GB RAM, 160GB SATA HDD, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS 256MB Graphics card and an Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7300.

The laptop was working like a dream until I was recently playing Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2 when the game crashed and I received the following Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) error message...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.  If a driver is identfied in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.  Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0x00000001, 0X91176748, 0X00000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...
    Initializing disk for crash dump...
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I receive this error message each time I start my laptop; it appears just after the small 'Windows loading bar' has finished at the bottom centre of the screen.  I have managed to re-install Windows Vista using the recovery DVD and reboot without this problem.  Once I install the laptops drivers and reboot; I receive the same BSOD however I am able to get into Windows using Safe Mode.  I re-installed Windows and installed each driver individually and managed to isolate the graphics driver as the issue the was causing this error; as long as I didn't install that driver then all was fine.  The graphics will only work with the standard Vista VGA Adaptar drivers and not with the Nvidia drivers that came with the laptop.  I have tried downloading updated graphics drivers from Asus & Nvidia however they did not solve the problem either.  The screen resolution is huge and Windows won't let me modify to my required settings without the proper drivers.

I have tried the following...

• Format the HDD and re-install Windows.
    • New replacement HDD.
    • Updated Graphics Drivers from ASUS & Nvidia.
    • 'Repair your computer' from Vista DVD.
    • Flash & upgrade the BIOS.
    • I don't have any BIOS settngs that manage the system memory. (I'm using ASUS BIOS 201)
    • Adaware Scan.
    • Virus Scan.
    • Replacement Memory from a different laptop.

Can someone please advise me on what this issue may be as I'm on the brink of buying a new laptop which I can't really afford.  Like I said, all was working perfect until Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2 crashed in game even though I had been playing it fine for about 2 weeks before this happened.

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter!

Many Thanks

Phibir

Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:50 PM

All replies