Nforce2 drivers for vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed vista on  my sn45g shuttle with nforce2.  I cannot get the audio to do 5.1, windows only shows 2 speakers. Nvidia are saying that they are not going to release drivers? Does this mean that I cannot use vista? This is a shame because the pc is more than capable. Are microsoft going to release drivers? If not I wish  I had listened to  other people and not bothered with vista! I will not buy Nvidia  again!
    Monday, February 5, 2007 8:22 AM

All replies

• The nforce 2 chipset drivers are included with Vista.  If you check the date of the drivers they should all say Microsoft June/2006.  I wouldn't blame Nvidia.  When an OS is newer than hardware the drivers are included, and they try to include drivers for as much old hardware as possible.  In the past you needed a chipset driver from Nvidia for the nforce2 chipset because the chipset was newer than the XP OS.  I wouldn't expect much from the included driver, if your 5.1 sound doesn't work today...it most likely will never work.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 3:26 PM
  • Dude. No offense, I know this reply is not helpful, but the Nforce 2 Chipset is now Five [thats right, count em...] years old. I repeat, five years old.

Saying you won't ever buy Nvidia again because they don't officially support a new Operating System 5 years after you bought the hardware is a little extreme. At least it still works.

Still. It does suck. Try googling for Nforce 2 and the word "Remix". People often include newer drivers from updated NForce releases [motherboard vendors and files from newer nforce 3/4 releases] and sometimes they are compatible with Nforce 2. Im sure there is an Nforce 2 Vista Remix either in the works or available to some degree.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 10:28 AM
  • Dude, Windows 2000 is 7... [that's right, count em...] 7 years old... and still supported pretty robustly. Intel still releases .inf updates for all flavors of Windows including Vista that have updated ISAPNP support and functionality. So your opinion is that wanting support for a perfectly capable DTS processor on a system that has a "Windows Experience Score" of 4.6 is asking too much? Please...
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:05 AM
  • Agreed, I ran the vista upgrade tool to check my PC which is more than capable. Basically NVidia cannot be bothered to release drivers and the microsoft ones do not do all 5 speakers, either through spdif or analogue. So I have to throw away a pc and fork out over 300 quid to get the copy of vista that I bought a pc to run on.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:57 AM