none
HIS 2009 client on Terminal server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently upgrading from HIS 2000 to HIS 2009.

I am having a bit of problem when it comes to Terminal servers. I would like to have individual users have different HIS client configuration. But the HIS client is storing its parameters in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and not in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I have this requirement as I have seperated the Non-Production traffic to a single server and Production traffic to a server pair as part of the upgrade. The users who log in to a Terminal server may be a Test user or a Production user. Hence the requirement for them to access the different servers. This will require them to have different HIS client configuration especially for the Sponsor servers in the SNABASE parameters.

Kindly help me in this situation. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kumaran Ravichandran.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:39 AM

Answers

• Take a look at the following:

- Run the HIS 2009 Configuration tool
    - Click Common Settings
    - Click Advanced inside the Common Settings dialog
    - Check to see if you have the "Allow per user settings" option enabled in the Advanced Properties dialog

Allow per user settings – This option allows users to specify configuration options that will only apply to their account. This option is only available when the Run resource location component as an application option is enabled. If this option is enabled, the HIS Client configuration options will be written to and read from the registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SnaBase. If this option is not enabled, the HIS Client configuration options will be written to and read from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\SnaBase when SnaBase is running as an application or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SnaBase when SnaBase is running as a Windows service.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Stephen,

That worked like a charm. Thank you for your help.

I have one more qurey. Is a similar feature available in HIS 2000 client?

Regards,

Kumaran Ravichandran

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:33 AM

All replies

• Take a look at the following:

- Run the HIS 2009 Configuration tool
    - Click Common Settings
    - Click Advanced inside the Common Settings dialog
    - Check to see if you have the "Allow per user settings" option enabled in the Advanced Properties dialog

Allow per user settings – This option allows users to specify configuration options that will only apply to their account. This option is only available when the Run resource location component as an application option is enabled. If this option is enabled, the HIS Client configuration options will be written to and read from the registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SnaBase. If this option is not enabled, the HIS Client configuration options will be written to and read from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\SnaBase when SnaBase is running as an application or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SnaBase when SnaBase is running as a Windows service.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Stephen,

That worked like a charm. Thank you for your help.

I have one more qurey. Is a similar feature available in HIS 2000 client?

Regards,

Kumaran Ravichandran

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Kumaran,

The following KB article describes where the HIS 2000 End User Client registry entries are written:

301363 Registry changes in Host Integration Server 2000 End User Client
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;301363

As this article explains, the initial entries are written to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SNABase\Parameters

When a user logs on for the first time, the entries are copied to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SNABase\Parameters.

This should allow for each user to get different settings if needed. If User1 logs in, they will get the settings under HKLM. If you then make a configuration change so that the HKLM settings are updated. User1 will not get those changes, but a new user that logs on will get the updated changes.

If you are asking about the HIS 2000 Administrator Client, then it always uses entries under HKLM.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, March 14, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Stephen,

Thank you for the response.

It seems HIS 2000 client will not make the cut for my requirement. As it will still require someone with admin access to modify the client configuration.

Regards,

Kumaran Ravichandran

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:46 AM
  • It is just as well since HIS 2000 is at the end of its support lifecycle. All support for HIS 2000 ends in January 2012.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:57 PM