none
DPM 2012 slow file backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we just replaced our DPM 2010 server with DPM 2012. We did not migrate but instead we installed a new dpm 2012 and redeployed the agents on the protected machines. Everything is working fine so far, however only for 1 server we are facing an issue. It is our fileshare server running Windows 2008 x64bit as virtual machine in a Hyper-V cluster. DPM is very slow to create the first replica of the selected folders (total size 350Go) : task has been running for 14hours and only 18MB have been saved so far !!!

Any idea how can we fix this ??

P.S.: the hyper-v cluster is still protected by a DPM 2010 version.

Thx in advance.

Rony

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Use the following to turn off TCP chimney on both the DPM server and the protected server, then cancel and restart the job.

On 2003 the command is: Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED
    On 2008 the command is: Netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Hi All,

Seem to have the exact same problem as descibed above, except protected server 2008 32bit.

Any other solutions, as I have followed instructions about disabling chimney, but file backup copying extremely slow. No problem with SQL, exchange or hyperv guest backups.

Monday, September 3, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Same issue, looking for solution. 
    Friday, September 14, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Hi RonyZ,

Have you installed update rollup 2?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30413

It doesn't specifically fix the problem, but it is worth a try.

(Update rollup 3 has been released actually but some people are having SQL database growth problem after installing it.)

Regards,

DC

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Same problem here to, although it was the same with DPM 2010 before.

I have one Hyper-V machine running our main file server.  Creating initial replicas and consistency checks on the server take forever.  I currently have a consistency check that's been running for 34 hours.  In that same time period DPM has performed consistency checks on all the other protected servers including other file servers, SQL servers, Exchange, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2007, Domain Controllers, Bare Metals for many servers..etc

Watching the DPMRA service on the file server using Process Explorer you can see it processing the files at a snails pace.  There's no obvious indication of where the bottle neck is. CPU, I/O and memory usage are all very low

Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Mike, I'm having the same issue.  File backup/replica creation is extremely slow.  500mb in 60min.  I tried disabling the global chimney setting but no luck.  What should I try next?
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:43 PM
  • HI,

Try adding an exception to your anti-virus to not scan the DPMRA process and see if that helps 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:51 PM
  • I disabled the AV all-together.  No luck.  
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:33 PM
    • Edited by Caleb44 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:59 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:59 PM