S/MIME in Outlook for Android not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a valid S/MIME certificate issued by GlobalSign on my Android MI A3 (Android One) installed for VPN and apps.

The certificate contains the proper KUs and EKUs and my email address in the SAN.

The most recent version of Outlook for Android supports S/MIME under settings -> Security.

You can only slide it on or off.

After restarting the app the option of digitally sign and encrypt becomes available.

However Outlook for Android keeps stating:  We couldn't find your S/MIME certificate. Install a certificate or please contact your IT help desk.

As I am the IT help desk, I'm asking my question here, I'm hoping someone can help.

Where does Outlook for Android expect the S/MIME certificate and key to be installed other than in the default Android certificate store?

Does anyone know why Outlook for Android cannot find the S/MIME certificate?

(I know about the iOS requirement of using Intune but this doesnt seem to apply to Android)

I saw the threat https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/29c8b97b-3b87-4880-bf72-94c864c9737e/solved-outlook-for-android-smime-certificate-not-found-?forum=outlook (and stole the text) but reuploading the SST did not help.

Any suggestions?

Alex

Monday, February 24, 2020 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Welcome to our forum.

I researched alot and found this thread in Outlook UserVoice forum about this and have voted for it. If this is your case, You may also vote for or add your comments to the thread there to submit your feedback. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

sorry I was not notified about the reply...

It is not helpful. It should work but it does not. 

Alex

Friday, March 6, 2020 2:57 PM
  • Hi Alex.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that this really bother you and I have submitted this question for you.

So please stay tuned for future updates.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:29 AM