none
Can a resource have multiple roles? RRS feed

• Question

• We have resources playing in projects as Business Analyst and Project Manager. How to manage this case? Define two resources at 50% for the same account?
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:01 AM

All replies

• I'd use a single resource, but use two different cost rate tables. IN the screenshot below, I've set up myself as a resource, but cost rate table A has me at £100 per hour (say the BA role), whereas cost rate table B has me at £150 per hour (for the PM role).

If you then look at what I've done on the task usage view, I've got two tasks where I'm performing 100 hours of work, but the first task I'm doing the BA role, so it costs it at £10k, whereas the second task I'm doing the PM role, which costs it up to £15k.

I think this is better than having two resources with 50% availability, as your resource may not always be split 50/50 between the two roles, and would therefore show as over or underutilised when the split is anything other than 50/50.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Roland --

Are you using a custom enterprise Resource field named something like Role?  And if so, does it use a lookup table that lists the roles available for a resource?  If the answer is yes to both questions, you might consider making the Role field a multi-value (MV) field.  Then you could select the appropriate roles for each resource.  I would NOT use your proposed solution of creating two resources for the same account.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hi Roland,

In addition to the excellent advice given by Dale, I'll mention to be careful with multivalue custom fields, since they cannot be added in OLAP cubes. This downside has to be taken into account if you use OLAP reporting feature.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:11 PM