Cannot backup gpo using gpmc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a basic network with 2 DCs. One is SBS 2011, the other is Windows 2012 r2. Everything seems to work fine, dcdiag no errors, repadmin /syncall, can access all GPOs to modify them, sysvol folder fine, everything is there, etc...But when I try, from gpmc (tried it on both DCs and got same error), to make a backup of all GPOs, I get the exact error mentioned here;

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/db47e3e9-9078-4dea-b801-feb879ccf19f/invalid-pointer-error-in-gpo-backup?forum=winserverGP

any help would be appreciated. I have this error for all my GPOs (I have 50).

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Answers

• Ok I found out the problem. The error relates to the gpt.ini file in each gpo directory in sysvol. They we're all renamed .java because they had a ransomware in the past which was taken care of except of these remnants. So I deleted them all.

So using gpmc, I did a restore of all my gpos and it's working now. It still tries to do a backup of gpo's that I deleted a couple of minutes before the new backup but I will redo a backup in a couple of days and if still same error, I will look for a solution for this but the important thing is that I can continue to do backups of my GPOs manually from time to time.

Thanks all for your help.

• Proposed as answer by Kallen Wang Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by sleb123 Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:38 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2018 3:29 PM

All replies

• I think the direction you will be headed in will be "
    dsquery *

"cn={95B712C8...."

on good GPO and compare the failed GPO's for where problem is. Do you get error log/ message from failed?

(lookup some dsquery command switches)

W.Maxx MCITP MCSE MCSA MCP 2k8 2k3 2k nt4 AD, Exchange, DNS, IBM iSeries RIM blackberry

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:48 PM
  • Hi, the problem is that I have no good GPOs so can't compare. I still did the dsquery command on one of them and I don't see anything wrong with the results.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:58 PM
  • Don't know if I can help, but will start, I do many GPO's.

Can GPO be backed-up, individually, from DC, locally? (I realize there are many)

W.Maxx MCITP MCSE MCSA MCP 2k8 2k3 2k nt4 AD, Exchange, DNS, IBM iSeries RIM blackberry

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:05 PM
  • Hi, tried to do a backup of only 1 gpo, from DC, from GPMC, still same error.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Been searching (as you have) and found many with issue not resolved. 

This one does concern actual GPO settings not allowing backup

OUTSIDE SOURCE  https://moodjbow.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/cannot-backup-gpo-error-invalid-pointer/

Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, nice link. Unfortunately the get-gporeport part did not give any useful information. Everything seems clean. 

Select-String -path “.\Desktop\DDPReport.xml” -Pattern “Name xmlns=`”http://www.microsoft.com/GroupPolicy/Types`”” -SimpleMatch -Context 2,1

Did not give me any results

I could not enable gpmc diagnostic because this key does not exist on neither my servers (Win2k8 r2 and Win2k12).

Just in case, I'll schedule a reboot this weekend, see how that goes. I do some gpo backups with gpmc from time to time so it worked for years, just stopped working recently, which is weird, no change in the servers we're made. Maybe an update or something. I'll post back if any changes. At least everything is working fine.

Regards

Friday, September 21, 2018 5:43 PM
  • Ok I found out the problem. The error relates to the gpt.ini file in each gpo directory in sysvol. They we're all renamed .java because they had a ransomware in the past which was taken care of except of these remnants. So I deleted them all.

So using gpmc, I did a restore of all my gpos and it's working now. It still tries to do a backup of gpo's that I deleted a couple of minutes before the new backup but I will redo a backup in a couple of days and if still same error, I will look for a solution for this but the important thing is that I can continue to do backups of my GPOs manually from time to time.

Thanks all for your help.

• Proposed as answer by Kallen Wang Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by sleb123 Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:38 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:14 AM
  • Hi, yes I resolved the issue and have put the solution above already.

Regards

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply and sharing.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post in the forum.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kallen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:18 AM