Steady State wipes USB RRS feed

• Question

• Set up Steady State on my Vista Home Premium PC but Disc Protection ON resets all 3 of my partitions and any USB key I forget to remove. How do I set it up so files can be safely saved to USB key left in situ? The Manual is too heavy reading for me. Need step by step instruction!                                                           Sim 
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Sim, I'd like to inform you that the only USB related restriction in Windows SteadyState is "Prevent write access to USB storage devices". There is no such function in SteadyState to make sure files can be safely saved to USB device.

By the way, if you want to enable shared users to safely remove USB device, you can try the following methods.

Method 1: If right click on menu is disabled, we can also use left click on USB icon on the system tray.

Method 2: Create a desktop shortcut

1. Create a shortcut on desktop.
    2. Use "%SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" (without quotation mark) as target.
    3. Double click the shortcut to remove USB device.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by salop Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:32 AM
  • Thanks Sean Zhu,
                              No need to log off administrator as only one user I am admin! I have 3 partitions C D F and SteadyState resets them all at boot up. That's fine no gremlins can survive on the hard-drive unless I am foolish enough to "Save Changes" after a prolonged web session downloading lots of untested stuff etc! So after such a session I might also have edited just one or two files on my USB which I need to save. So I unplug the USB key, then restart and let SteadyState wipe out any rubbish on the hard-drive. 
                   Now hard-drive is refreshed I plug in USB key and this time leave it plugged in to restart again* using "Save Changes". So I only save the new USB files and my vital work.
                   This is better than always unplugging the USB to prevent data loss as that might risk several sessions work being lost rather than one session (if I accidentally restart with USB key in place). Bit of a tedious regime but the extra few minutes taken are worth it as Vista is kept sparkling fresh!
                             Does this make sense or is there an easier way?            Best Regards,         Sim

03 Jan 2010  PS
    Easier Way?  Yes there is! By Trial & Error I have found the second Re-boot* (note asterisk) un-necessary!  USB changes are permanently saved by removing the device for the first Re-boot only.  Subsequent Re-booting without saving is safe (provided, of course, you have made no subsequent USB changes!) Hope this helps other newcomers. 
    • Marked as answer by salop Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:26 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Sim, I'd like to inform you that the only USB related restriction in Windows SteadyState is "Prevent write access to USB storage devices". There is no such function in SteadyState to make sure files can be safely saved to USB device.

By the way, if you want to enable shared users to safely remove USB device, you can try the following methods.

Method 1: If right click on menu is disabled, we can also use left click on USB icon on the system tray.

Method 2: Create a desktop shortcut

1. Create a shortcut on desktop.
    2. Use "%SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" (without quotation mark) as target.
    3. Double click the shortcut to remove USB device.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by salop Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:32 AM
  • OK Sean Zhu,
                        Thanks for you speedy reply, always on the case,you deserve a medal. My home PC so there is no other user. Really pleased with Steady State it protects me from myself making a hash of things which otherwise compromise the optimal state I initially took pains to set up. Guess as long as USB is removed before the system is fired up again my saved work is safe.
                  I guess on Vista if after booting up I plug in my USB memory key and reboot without removing it, as long as I click the "Save Changes" panel as I exit the USB memory key will have been safely backed up?
                                                                Seasons greetings,           Sim
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Hi Sim, do you mean selecting "Save Changes" after logging off the administrator and commit changes in Windows Disk Protection? If so, I'd like to inform you that this option allows you to save system settings under system partition (usually C: ) in Windows Disk Protection and it does not affect data you saved on USB flash drive. For USB flash drive, you can save your data and use the above method to make sure it is removed safely, then you can unplug it from the computer.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:46 AM
  • Thanks Sean Zhu,
                              No need to log off administrator as only one user I am admin! I have 3 partitions C D F and SteadyState resets them all at boot up. That's fine no gremlins can survive on the hard-drive unless I am foolish enough to "Save Changes" after a prolonged web session downloading lots of untested stuff etc! So after such a session I might also have edited just one or two files on my USB which I need to save. So I unplug the USB key, then restart and let SteadyState wipe out any rubbish on the hard-drive. 
                   Now hard-drive is refreshed I plug in USB key and this time leave it plugged in to restart again* using "Save Changes". So I only save the new USB files and my vital work.
                   This is better than always unplugging the USB to prevent data loss as that might risk several sessions work being lost rather than one session (if I accidentally restart with USB key in place). Bit of a tedious regime but the extra few minutes taken are worth it as Vista is kept sparkling fresh!
                             Does this make sense or is there an easier way?            Best Regards,         Sim

03 Jan 2010  PS
    Easier Way?  Yes there is! By Trial & Error I have found the second Re-boot* (note asterisk) un-necessary!  USB changes are permanently saved by removing the device for the first Re-boot only.  Subsequent Re-booting without saving is safe (provided, of course, you have made no subsequent USB changes!) Hope this helps other newcomers. 
    • Marked as answer by salop Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:26 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:04 AM