none
Deleting VPN from Windows 10 Settings Menu Removes Connection Profile from Adapters Menu RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to limit our users ability to delete a VPN profile which we have configured for them, however, sometimes they accidentally remove the VPN connection from the Windows 10 Settings Menu, and for some bizarre reason, this also deletes the connection from the Adapter menu (where it would have otherwise been protected by UAC).

Is this another planning mistake in Windows 10? Or is it possible to control this via GPO's?

I've tried every setting I can think of under User Config\Admin Templates\Network\Network Connections and no luck. The users are still able to navigate to the Win 10 Settings menu under Network & Internet \ VPN and remove the profile. I'll include a picture so it's easier to understand what setting I'm talking about. I want to get rid of the "remove" box:

Atekkof

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are these computers in an AD environment?

If so, you can deploy VPN profile via GPO. 

Best regards,
    Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Hello, unfortunately no, the devices are standalone laptops and tablets intended for out of office work. I will try pushing the VPN via local GPO in the image, but I would still like to know how to disable that "remove" button for future reference.

Thanks.

Atekkof

Thursday, July 18, 2019 12:15 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, hiding the "remove" button is not possible.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. 

If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible.  

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your help. The reason I want to hide the remove button is that using it actually deletes the adapter from the Adapters menu which shouldn't be allowed. The VPN profile might still be hiding somewhere in the file system, but an average user wouldn't now how to get it back.

Atekkof

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I understand.

Unfortunately, there is no AD environment.

Maybe you need a script to create the VPN profile when computer starts.

Best regards,

Travis

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:23 AM