none
Cannot connect to deployment share, booted from USB key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to deploy Windows 7 Enterprise from MDT 2013, running on Windows Server 2012 R2. The boot key that I use will not have Windows PE connect to the deployment share with the following error message.

"A connection to the deployment share (\\ServerIPAddress\DeploymentShare$) could not be made. Connection OK. Possible course: invalid credentials.

Retry: Try again to connect to the deployment share. Cance: Give up, cancelling any in-progress task sequence."

I can connect to the deployment share through Windows from a UNC path, and from a net use command, but not in Windows PE. Pressing F8 in PE shows that I get a valid IP address, and can ping the deployment server by IP address and FQDN. Net use does not work in PE, and times-out with an error 53, network path not found. There is a firewall between the client and the server, but I do not think it is getting in the way. If it was, I wouldn't be able to connect from Windows. I can't see the log files on PE because C:\MININT is not accessible, no such file.

What could it be?

Thanks

Jason

Monday, January 9, 2017 9:23 PM

All replies

• When you are booted from winPE the logs will be in X:\minint

That being said is the IP address correct?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Monday, January 9, 2017 11:04 PM
  • BDD.log indicates

No physical adapters present, cannot deploy over wireless.

Unable to connect to the deployment share \\192.168.1.1\DeploymentShare$.
    Connection OK. Possible cause: invalid credentials.

Windows PE does get a valid IP address, and can ping the MDT server by IP and hostname. SLShareDynamicLogging was previously enabled, but has since been disabled. Still, no luck.

Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:32 PM
  • And when you connect to the share from a full OS you are using the exact same credentials?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Same username and password. The latest attempts have been without those credentials in BootStrap.ini

Jason

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:41 PM
  • Did you look at your logs in x:\minint or copy them off to look at somewhere like the thumb drive you are booting from?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Yes. They indicate the lack of a network path, and that deployment cannot proceed over a wireless connection (BDD.log)

Jason

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:23 PM
  • The fact you can't net use from WinPE yet can see the server is strange.  The only thing I can think of is permissions.  You might want to check those.  It might also be worthwhile to check without your firewall.

Also is your MDT server really a internet connection sharing  IP address?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Yes. This is completely odd. Given the amount of time I have spent troubleshooting, I punted and created a new deployment share and set up as desired. Booted the new share's USB key and Windows PE failed to connect again, but this time it was trying to connect the previous deployment share. Not the one I just created. After a whole bunch of boot key recreation attempts with no change, we deleted the original deployment share and rebooted the server. Upon reboot, the new deployment share was completely empty. No drivers, operating systems, tasks were there, and furthermore I did not have NTFS rights to the drive that the deployment share resided, despite being a local admin on Windows. We're going to go with a new server VM, and the whole kit.

Jason

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:52 PM
  • No longer odd... If you don't have your permissions set correctly then this expected.  Fix your permissions and things will work.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:06 PM
  • The odd part is the NTFS perms are set up right at the root of the drive, D in this case. SERVER\Admins have FC, SERVER\Users have RW, Everyone has Special permissions, and FC on the shared permissions. My domain account is a member of the local admins group on that server. That alone should get me into the door, but it doesn't. A prompt appears indicating I do not have access when I browse to the share in Windows, but a click on OK gets me in (why bother prompting?). 

Jason

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:19 PM
  • My suggestion for fixing your permissions:

icacls <SHARE> /grant '"Users":(OI)(CI)(RX)'
    icacls <SHARE> /grant '"Administrators":(OI)(CI)(F)'
    icacls <SHARE> /grant '"SYSTEM":(OI)(CI)(F)'
    Grant-SmbShareAccess -Name <SHARE> -AccountName "EVERYONE" -AccessRight Change -Force
    Revoke-SmbShareAccess -Name <SHARE> -AccountName "CREATOR OWNER" -Force

Where <SHARE> is the local path e. g. D:\Share

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:30 PM
  • No dice on the permissions fix suggestion. Thanks though!

Jason

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:48 PM
  • Do you still require elevation to access the share as you in Windows? If so your permissions are still incorrect.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:38 PM
  • I'm not too sure. We can get right in through Windows Explorer without a prompt (for domain users), but not in through WinPE from MDT. Completely baffling...

Jason

Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:38 PM
  • You could try the permissions wide open and see if that works.  Then tighten permissions down until it breaks again.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:48 PM
  • Permissions are the first course of action, can you let us know the output of the following:

net share <Share>

icalcs <DeploymentShare>\Control

Additionally, I would seriously check the Firewall status (Turn it off to test).

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, January 23, 2017 5:29 AM