Confirmation of MOM/SQL Included??? RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently a Symantec shop on the antivirus/malware side.  I am seriously considering forefront this summer as our symantec renewal is approaching.

However, I have been reading the deployment guide and it details that SQL Server 2005 is a pre-requisite and has no mentions of it being included in the install.  We are running a SQL box for other applications including WSUS...but it is version 2000 and we are not ready to upgrade it yet.

The following from the microsoft "How to Buy" page indicates a "locked down to forefront" version is included for SQL and MOM:
    "Inclusion of Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 and SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition. The event logging and alerting system in Forefront Client Security is built on MOM 2005 technology, and the reporting system uses SQL Server 2005 (Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition). MOM 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Standard or Enterprise Edition, both restricted for use with Forefront Client Security, are included with the Management Console subscription. As a consequence, customers do not need to license MOM 2005 or SQL Server 2005 separately to use Forefront Client Security."

Am I reading it wrong?  Does the RTM trial that I downloaded have the inclusion of MOM and SQL?

Any info appreciated as the deployment guide seems to contradict this.  Thanks to all who can help!
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hello!

All versions of FCS (eval, etc) ship with a copy of MOM (MOM 2005/SP1 is installed by the FCS Serversetup.exe).  You can purchase (starting on 7/1) an FCS SKU that contains SQL EE 2005 licensed for use with FCS only.  You will also be able to purchase FCS without SQL EE, in which case you will need to own the appropriate SQL licenses already

The Eval edition online does not contain/include a SQL install - you can download/install SQL eval edition from the SQL Microsoft.com site

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Friday, June 8, 2007 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hello!

All versions of FCS (eval, etc) ship with a copy of MOM (MOM 2005/SP1 is installed by the FCS Serversetup.exe).  You can purchase (starting on 7/1) an FCS SKU that contains SQL EE 2005 licensed for use with FCS only.  You will also be able to purchase FCS without SQL EE, in which case you will need to own the appropriate SQL licenses already

The Eval edition online does not contain/include a SQL install - you can download/install SQL eval edition from the SQL Microsoft.com site

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Friday, June 8, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Great...exactly what i wanted to hear!

Thanks for the reply.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:14 PM