Insufficent Memory or Disk Space Error RRS feed

• Question

• Background: All new computers with 300GB HD, 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz  were set up on a new SBS 2008 with 16GB RAM and 1.5 TB total HD space, server this past summer. Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 installed on each machine.

Randomly, users would receive "Insufficient Memory or Disk Space" erros while working within Word, have to close and lose all data. This seemed to be isolated issues but in the last week or so, multiple users are receiving this issue many, many times a day. No other Office programs are having any issue.

I have renamed the normal.dot file to no avail; I have cleaned temp files, to no avail; all machines are up to date with Windows/Word updates; I checked for IP conflics to no avail. I am not a true pro IT guy, but those that I hire are even confused by the continual errors.

Any suggestions?

This is essentially shutting down our office since most of our work is word processing.

Any support/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joey George

Joey George joey@kylawoffices.com
    Monday, February 7, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is insufficient disk space available for Word to save the file. When working with Word, the Windows swap file (Win386.swp) increases in size. This increase can be large and can use up most or all of the available disk space.

To prevent this behavior from occurring, add more hard disk space, either by adding a larger disk drive or by using a disk compression utility.

NOTE: If you are running antivirus software, try turning it off. If this corrects the behavior, contact the manufacturer of your antivirus software for an update or workaround.

To work around this behavior in the short term, use any of the following methods:

• You may be able to recover some disk space by quitting unneeded programs. After quitting the other programs, it may take a few minutes before Windows changes the size of the swap file.
    • You can free disk space by deleting unneeded files. For example, empty the Recycle Bin.
    • You may be able to save your file to a floppy disk drive or network drive.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is insufficient disk space available for Word to save the file. When working with Word, the Windows swap file (Win386.swp) increases in size. This increase can be large and can use up most or all of the available disk space.

To prevent this behavior from occurring, add more hard disk space, either by adding a larger disk drive or by using a disk compression utility.

NOTE: If you are running antivirus software, try turning it off. If this corrects the behavior, contact the manufacturer of your antivirus software for an update or workaround.

To work around this behavior in the short term, use any of the following methods:

• You may be able to recover some disk space by quitting unneeded programs. After quitting the other programs, it may take a few minutes before Windows changes the size of the swap file.
    • You can free disk space by deleting unneeded files. For example, empty the Recycle Bin.
    • You may be able to save your file to a floppy disk drive or network drive.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:57 AM
  • Thanks.

I will attempt these solutions and see if any correct the issue at hand.

Appreciate the assistance and prompt response.

Joey George joey@kylawoffices.com
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:20 AM