Trying to purchase 8 Gig Ram System, told won't work with OS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi. I'm trying to buy a new desktop w/new intel qx9650 and compliant motherboard which holds 8 g ram. This is not an option on the "online purchase form" for a "build it yourself" desktop computer reseller. When I chatted online with sales rep.. they said the OS doesn't utilize more than 4 gigs...is this true and if a 64 is available how do I get my hands on it? Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:20 AM

Answers

• Hi there.

If your MB says it'll take 8Gb RAM then it will..

Your OS on the other hand is a different story.

XP 32bit will only operate up to 4Gb RAM.

XP 64bit will take more, i think its 8Gb,

Vista 32bit  will take 8Gb.

Vista 64 will carry 128Gb.

So as you can see it's all down to the Op Systen you use.

When you ask if a 64 available, do you mean 64bit OS, if you are just using you pc for gaming and media based i would not advise a 64bit OS, if you want to fill all 8Gb up with RAM, you will likely need to make changes to the bios setup because more RAM means more power is needed to run them.

I would advise upgrading to Vista 32bit or staying with XP and using 4Gb of RAM, which in reality is enough.

By the way i'm using Vista64bit and 8Gb of RAM and it has not been without its problems,

see the following link

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2520496&SiteID=17

Hope this help any.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:55 AM

All replies

• Or are they talking about the bios for the motherboard I chose?

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:38 AM
  • Hi there.

If your MB says it'll take 8Gb RAM then it will..

Your OS on the other hand is a different story.

XP 32bit will only operate up to 4Gb RAM.

XP 64bit will take more, i think its 8Gb,

Vista 32bit  will take 8Gb.

Vista 64 will carry 128Gb.

So as you can see it's all down to the Op Systen you use.

When you ask if a 64 available, do you mean 64bit OS, if you are just using you pc for gaming and media based i would not advise a 64bit OS, if you want to fill all 8Gb up with RAM, you will likely need to make changes to the bios setup because more RAM means more power is needed to run them.

I would advise upgrading to Vista 32bit or staying with XP and using 4Gb of RAM, which in reality is enough.

By the way i'm using Vista64bit and 8Gb of RAM and it has not been without its problems,

see the following link

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2520496&SiteID=17

Hope this help any.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Thats not correct.. 32bit can only address so much space (4GB)

32bit xp/vista is 4GB limit

64bit xp/vista is much higher

also windows has to reserve address space so it will only use about 3GB max   if you use 32bit OS.

I can cite many supporting links but a quick google will show this.

I was running an abit ip35 pro with 4gb and it wasnt using it all so i reformatted and am using vista 64 bit now instead of 32bit.

also i recently purchased 4more gigabytes of ram and am running 4 2gig chips now.. works fine.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:04 AM