Windows 7 Offline Files Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for all your help!

Facts: Domain Network, Server 2012, Folder Redirection Enabled (Docs Only), Shadow Copy Enabled, Windows 7 Clients

I have a domain user who was not syncronizing with the server through Folder Redirection. We deployed a GPO to disable Offline files and sure enough, she reported that her files went missing. We looked at the Shadow copies only to find that the folders are in fact empty.

Attempts: Shadow Copy, HBCD (to access the CSC folder offline, turned up empty)

Are there any tools or techniques that I am missing here to recover her files? Remember this is Windows 7.

All your help is much appreciated.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:19 PM

Answers

• Since the offline files in %SystemRoot%\CSC turned up empty, I recommend you access the shared folder in remote PC. If this folder is also empty, you have to use 3rd recovery software.

Generally, when you disable offline files, there are still offline files in %SystemRoot% \CSC and in shared folder in remote computer unless you delete them.
    • Edited by 暁北 Monday, September 16, 2013 1:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by 暁北 Monday, September 23, 2013 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, September 23, 2013 12:50 PM
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:15 AM

All replies

• Since the offline files in %SystemRoot%\CSC turned up empty, I recommend you access the shared folder in remote PC. If this folder is also empty, you have to use 3rd recovery software.

Generally, when you disable offline files, there are still offline files in %SystemRoot% \CSC and in shared folder in remote computer unless you delete them.
    • Edited by 暁北 Monday, September 16, 2013 1:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by 暁北 Monday, September 23, 2013 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, September 23, 2013 12:50 PM
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Hello all,

Just thought I should come back and share my findings.

FolderRedirection can be a useful tool, but can be a pain if used or removed improperly. I found that permissions can play a role in Syncing documents, if permissions are modified for whatever reason in the server, it will not always sync properly and the user will mostly not notice. This will cause your system to hold "temp" files on your pc.

I had success with Recuva for file recovery but mostly the classic HBCD, this allowed me to browse the contents of CSC without hassles, and move to the local drive. The particular machine in question did not turn out successful, but these methods worked for the remaining.

Thanks to all for your help.

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:52 PM
  • saved my butt!  thanks!    customer was in a panic....I turned-off offline files without first making sure they had synced which (now I know...blows away the files!) but recovered as above cheers
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:01 AM