none
Proper procedure for archiving projects and how that impacts project workspaces? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been told in the past by Microsoft support reps that it is very common to delete projects from the Draft database while keeping the project workspaces intact.   Is this best practice or is there a different approach?   What we want to be able to do is remove projects from the Draft database but keep project workspaces intact so that folks can go back and reference uploaded documents later on.

Any feedback/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy Novak, PMP, MBA
    University of North Texas

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Andy,

Not sure if you're running 2007 or 2010, but we're running Project Server 2010 and that's exactly how we've been archiving projects - that is, to delete them from the Drafts and Published database. This has not been affecting our project workspaces.

Hope that helps!

X
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Andy,

Not sure if you're running 2007 or 2010, but we're running Project Server 2010 and that's exactly how we've been archiving projects - that is, to delete them from the Drafts and Published database. This has not been affecting our project workspaces.

Hope that helps!

X
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi Andy,

That is absolutely fine for both PS 2007 and 2010.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Friday, November 4, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Could someone please share the process by which you 1) disconnect the workspace before deleting from draft and published  2) reconnecting the workspace should you decide to restore the project from archive   (I already know how to delete workspaces).

Thanks,
    Andy Novak, PMP, MBA

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hi Andy,

You can do this in PWA > Server Settings > Project Sites

To remove link to Project Site edit the site address and check the remove the URL radio button (make note of the URL for future use - relinking etc)

To relink once the project is restored, edit the site address and add the URL back in

Hope that helps

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:15 PM
  • OK.   Here's the kicker....

A while back, we had gone in and periodically deleted projects that were really bogus (i.e., folks had entered them by mistake or a different project was created that took the place of the one that was deleted).

We use timesheets in conjunction with My Tasks.    Through the process of deleting those bogus projects, it resulted in "orphaned" task lines in timesheets that in turn caused the timesheets to be not importable because of the missing project.

This caused a huge problem with us having to go back, have users manually delete timesheet lines for projects that didn't exist anymore and re-import them - the missing projects kept other project lines in the timesheet from being imported that were still active.

I can see this becoming the same can of worms that we had before.   Maybe one has to assume that if we "archive" a project, it has to meet certain criteria that would ensure timesheets containing its task lines would not need to be re-imported in the future. 

Can someone please comment on this?  I'd especailly like to hear from our friends at MSProjectExperts to hear their take on it.

Thanks,
    Andy Novak, PMP, MBA

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:42 PM
  • The old process of using a security group with deny open project on a specified set of plans, is still valid. This allows you to keep plans on server for extended periods, if sql disk space is availalbe. This effectively hides the plans from users.

We use this method to hide (archive) projects for 1 year, then delete them and workspaces.

John Purvis Digital Concepts, Inc. Assigned to CSC ECSS Program
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:41 PM