none
MDT multiple users - need strategy to stay organized RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'd like to hear from others how you manage to collaborate with other people using MDT. Also how do you track changes? I'm using an excel sheet but I find it cumbersome and annoying to flip to and record every little change, especially when I'm making test changes that I don't know if I'll even keep.

I'm using MDT 2012 U1 on Win 7 to create images for and deploy Windows 7. Recently there have been a couple of desktop techs in addition to myself working on image creation and deployment media configuration. The problem with multiple people being involved is we have forked my deployment share a couple of times for the other techs' use. So of course now there's three deployment shares across three PCs. This is going to become a problem at least when it comes to deployment media:

- We only deploy via USB media.

- I'm in an AD DS/domain environment.

- We don't use WDS because we as desktop techs don't have a server available for our own use, just PCs. Also because the network in most of the building is 100 Mbps anyways where WDS on Server 2012 R2 requires 1000 Mbps for the role to install.

- We don't use SCCM.

The deployment media will become troublesome because the deployments from three different USB media will have unexpected behaviours and instability due to differences in media when we deploy windows via different task sequences and sometimes with the same task sequence but with different changes.

For instance one desktop tech has modified a major task sequence on his deployment share which has added support for a new PC model. The drivers available have changed, a new selection profile created and the existing task sequence has an additional step in it to inject drivers from the new selection profile. So using these fragmented/forked deployment shares has to stop... but how? Several years ago, in 'the beginning' of learning deployments with MDT, I had the deployment share and media on a file server and ran MDT from my workstation, but operations like updating media, where the media had to be modified with new drivers, took an extraordinary amount of time compared to having the share and media locally on my PC. That was probably due mostly to the 100 Mbps LAN. I think getting gigabit LAN from our office to the server room would be fairly costly and not likely to be approved.

So, any suggestions or examples of how you do things?

Thursday, August 4, 2016 3:25 PM

All replies

• You root question here is how do you handle change management.

What I have done is I have layers.

I have one share that is for build and captures.

I have shares for development

I have one share for test

I have one share that is the root for production

I use linked deployment shares Dev is linked to test and test to dev.  When I test something in Dev and it works then I promote it to test.  When I test something in test and it works to the satisfaction of my stakeholders then it gets promoted to production.

If I break thinks I use one of the closer to production shares to sync up the chain.  So if things go horribly wrong in test I will recover from the known good that is production.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Thanks, Ty, for sharing your MDT change management configuration as an example. I'll set up something along those lines.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who collaborates on the management of deployment shares - how do you avoid "stepping on the toes" of the other person also managing the deployment share? Do you use a spreadsheet to track changes of the deployment share\images\applications\drivers\deployment media?

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:13 PM
  • Yeah a spreadsheet is the way to go.  Additional process would be to send mail to relevant parties and if the change was agreed upon or not.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:22 PM